Wolly Bugger Question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chef, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    When making the body of the wolly bugger.... chenile or dubbing? I am thinking dubbing because a dubbing brush can be used to make it look more plump.
  2. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +390 / 0
    Chef,
    I have been playing around with this some too and I like the dubbed bodies but as I look around, there are a lot of interesting chenielles available. Last weekend on Lone Lake I was doing well with a sparkle chenielle in lime green. I don't have the ingredients to create this from dubbing, so I bought the chenielle.

You're right though, brushing out the chenielle gives a great buggy look to a WB.

Jeff
  3. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Both. I agree with Jeff on availability of some really neat chenille these days. Jay Fair Short Shuck being my current favorite. It behaves like a short, dense hackle with just a bit of flash. And chenille makes tying go much faster than dubbing . . .unless you pre-twist your dubbing brushes.
  4. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    i prefer to use dubbing and a dubbing brush. i can get more creative and still use it as dubbing on other things. i really like the STS Trilobal dubbing, ive been playing with that alot in the last few weeks. its super buggy and if your gonna dub it straight onto the thread leave it loose and bulky, it looks way better, rather then trying to dub a dry fly. ice dub works nicely too

for beginning tyers i think a chenille is better, less to learn all at once
  5. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    both...

Chenilles are easy to use and come in a lot of different styles. I've been using ice chenille a lot lately. Don't overlook estaz and some of the other closely related products.

Dubbing can be done up in several ways...straight out of the box and onto the thread, in a dubbing loop, with other materials (ie rubber etc)...you can even get or make a dubbing twister and make premade brushes.

Try both ways and see what works for you.
  6. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,106 / 0
    You might say dubbing for the smaller flies and chenille for the larger ones. The chenille selection nowadays is just vast and you can get effects from it that you can't get from dubbing. To me the uniformity and bulk of chenille trumps the dubbed flies. And if you are tying a dozen buggers on #4 3XL hooks you are going to be doing a hell of a lot of dubbing.

But if you must dub use some yarn underneath to get the basic shape and then dub over that. Much less work.

Ive
  7. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    i have been liking to use semi seal. makes neat buggers.
  8. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    i dont think ive played around with semi seal yet
  9. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    its awesome. I love the look of it. if you want me to send you some to try, let me know.
  10. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +390 / 0
    Duh.... what a great idea. Thanks Ive
  11. Woodman60 Member

Sacramento, CA
    Recently, I've been using various colors of sparkle dubbing, making my bodies fairly thin, and generally fishing smaller buggers. That said I have caught a hell of a lot of fish on larger, fatter, chenille buggers.

Have confidence in the fly you're fishing is probably as important as anything.
  12. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +243 / 0
    If I'm tying a standard wooly bugger, I prefer chenille; the hackle is supposed to provide that motion. If I want an alternative fly for the same conditions, I'll use a seal bugger, with a simi seal in a dubbing loop.

Steve
  13. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I bet a leech never knew he had so many clothes!
  14. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +243 / 0
    That is what is so cool about flies that one ties to fish vs. flies for display (e.g, classic Atlantic salmon flies). In the case of the later, adherence to the standard is key. For the former, the standard is do the fish like it. Experimentation, substitution of materials, changing proportions, etc. is how we innovate. Fortunately, there's more than one way to fool a trout.
  15. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    I tied a lot of wolly buggers yesterday. First half of the day was with dubbing. Then the second part of the day was with chenile and to be frank, I really liked the chenile a little more. Easier for a consistent body thickness. Perhaps I just need to work more on my thickness of dubbing. For the smaller flies, dubbing was the easiest to use.
  16. Grant Richie Member

Minam, OR
    Ratings: +5 / 0
  17. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Chef,
    Chenille and dubbing are equally important in tying buggers/leeches. They each have their own properties that we can use to express our talents and catch fish. I tie with both but for very different reasons and to achieve different results.
  18. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    its the beauty of fly tying, its really just your preference and your opinions on how you like to fish
  19. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    :thumb:
    I also use the marabou, it works great. I also will use matching ostrich plume to make it look buggy before I palmer the hackle. Works well also.

20. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    wolly bugger bodies can be made with just about anything: chenille, dubbing, estaz and all of its equivalents, yarns, larva lace and all of its equivalents, peacock herl, tinsels, burlap, wire etc etc etc