wooden drift boat bottom coat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by grandma grann, May 13, 2013.

1. grandma grann Member

Kingston, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have a 14 foot McKenzie style wooden drift boat, The paint on the bottom has become checked over the years and I wanted to recoat the bottom. I had plans to coat the bottom with fiberglass this winter winter but I did not have the time.

so my question is this:
    Is there any relatively cheap paint?coating that will last on the bottom of the wooden drift boat?
    I had one guy tell me that I could use shop floor paint like U-coat or any other brand. I want the paint to be smooth so my small anchor can hold me in place in fast wanted.

Thank you
  2. fis_her22 New Member

Yakima
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Try epoxy with powdered graphite mixed in.....works great....I just flip the boat over ....mask off the sides (cover all the sides with newpaper)....mix up a batch of epoxy and mix in a cup or so of graphite (it is a standard epoxy additive)....it will turn the epoxy coal black .....pour it down the centerline of the bait and then spread it out with a paint roller....work fast...you only have about 15 minutes before the epoxy begins to set....when starts to set, you are toast if you don't have it spread the way you want.

Makes a very durable and slick bottom....one tip is to make sure you mix the epoxy in the exact propotions and make sure it is thoroughly mixed.
  3. grandma grann Member

Kingston, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    What brand of epoxy are you using? Where do you get this epoxy?
    Thank you
  4. fis_her22 New Member

Yakima
    Ratings: +4 / 0