Wooden Driftboat Refinishing w/ Pics!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Joshw, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    You guys might have seen the wooden driftboat for sale from Ron Eagle Elk in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago....well I was the lucky one to get my hands on it! Thanks Ron! :beer2: I am currently in the process of stripping it down to bare wood inside and out, repairing some minor dry rot at the rear and getting her ready for the water.
    [IMG]
    The picture above is before my buddy (body man/car painter) and I took his DA (daul action sander) to it and below is 1 hour after using 160 grit sandpaper and the DA! That DA is a great tool...can't believe I sanded my old wooden boat with a palm sander!
    [IMG]
    I will post some more pictures as I get further along in the refinishing stages. Hopefully, it'll be ready for it's "maiden" voyage down the Yakima at the end of the month and then over to Montana for a few weeks! :thumb:

Josh
  2. Jim Jones flytosser

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Nice work. Look forward to seeing your final product.

Jim
  3. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Sanding was completely finished last night. I should start varnishing the inside tomorrow night....with a little intermission for paint application on the sides this weekend. :beer2:

Josh
  4. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Josh,

Looking good, Buddy. That DA sander is a time saver ain't it? E-mail me your snail mail addy so I can get the trailer title to you.

REE
  5. jabseattle jabs

Desert Dweller
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Josh,

Looks good. Congrats looks like a solid boat!! Have fun!!!
  6. Jeffro New Member

Woodinville, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Looks great! Look forward to seeing the final product.