Wooden Fishing Boats

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Bob Triggs, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ross, Great Idea! :thumb:

2. Eastside

Eastside Guest

My son and I built a canoe from a kit. The company is Pygmy boats in Port Townsend. We took it on a 50-mile canoe trip with our Scout troop and it was the fastest boat on the water. It hasn't been fishing yet, but will this summer. My wife says I'm doing their "Wineglass Wherry" next.

3. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

showing off pet projects

Build a canoe? Build a drift boat? Canoe? Drift boat? Canoe? Drift boat?
    Put together a show, and I for one will come. Definately!:thumb:

4. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    riverrun and mstein, how much did you end up spending on your boat?
    just curious........

5. Bob Triggs

Media:
    Home Page:
    I hear that Pygmy Boats ( www.pygmyboats.com ) is going to be offering a new "freighter" canoe kit with a square transom and all. That and the possibility of a longer version of the Wineglass Wherry has me happily expectant.

6. Mstein

Mstein New Member

Riverrun... love the lapstrake rowing skiff... simply beautiful!!! Boats like that inspire me to build again... I stopped in at Rays River Dories the other day to check out his framed boats... Im thinking about building a smaller framed db or pram just to build again..

Jason, I'd say around $2500 for the boat but it was spread out over time so it wasn't a huge shock to the wife :beer2: Although the fact that I was in the shop for 18mo didn't help my case with her. you can build for more or less depending on the materials, paint, etc... I think the Honky Dory plans say the boat can be done for as little as $1200...keep in mind that doesn't include trailer. oars, etc....

7. tomc

tomc Member

Okay lads and ladies, I have it... There is a Traditional Small Craft Association outing at Bowman Bay State Park on March 22 2008. What a coincidence that Pass Lake is just up the hill. It might be a great opportunity for TSCA members to admire some of your wooden boats, and I KNOW TSCA members would be very pleased see your boats and share theirs with you.
    The TSCA website is: http://www.tsca.net/puget/index.htm
    I spoke to Gary Powell (the chapter President) and he invites one and all to join in. TSCA is a pretty loosely organized group of boaters that like to have an excuse to row, paddle, motor, or sail their boats around with other boaters. TSCA does not have any criteria for the method of material for for construction from what I've seen (hell, they don't mind my plywood boats, and I was thinking of taking my 'toon just to see what they say (not that I care)).
    Anyway, If you are interested I for one will be there to go through Deception Pass and drag my favorite sparse bead head bugger around Pass Lake on the 22nd. Hope to see you there.
    Tom C.

8. riverrun

riverrun Member

Tom:

I really like your idea about the TSCA outing. Thanks for the link to their site too. I am not real clear about Bowman Bay's location. Where is it located relative to Pass Lake? Should we just plan on Pass Lake?
    I will see what I can do to reschedule a few things to try to make it there, especially if others are planning to attend. Unfortunately, I have a conflict at the moment.

MStein- my lapstrake rowing skiff is a take off of Arch Davis' Penobscot 17- http://www.by-the-sea.com/archdavisdesign. Jason Cajune of Montana Boatbuilders and I collaborated on some modifications to turn her into an estuary, lake fishing skiff for two. She was custom built to our plans and modified to incorporate some stitch and glue techniques.

Jason- I believe you can find the kit price for Penobscot 17 on Arch Davis' website. Having it custom built was substantially more. The prices for drift boats are listed on http://www.montanaboatbuilders.com. Mine is an early 17' Guide Model. Jason offers many different models in kits. He also has a link to a great boatbuilding forum on his site.

What do others think of Tom's idea for a meeting?

Riverrun

9. tomc

tomc Member

Bowman Bay is part of Deception Pass State Park. It is on the Fidalgo Island side. To get there turn onto Rosario Rd. as you would to launch at Pass Lake. Take the first left on Bowman Bay Rd. and follow it less than .5 miles until you see the bay. Here is the site for Deception Pass State Park: http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=deception pass
    I hear the "main event" at the TSCA outing is to row, paddle, sail, or motor little boats through Deception Pass. It is no big deal Al Gunther is the coordinator for this event and has done it many times. Like I said in my original post TSCA is pretty loosly structured, so if you want to do the "main event" great. If staying hydrated while stoking the camp fire is more your thing, that's fine too.
    It is a family event and there will be some kids bobbing about:) although I will not be bringing my "terrible 20". But wait, my Dad is bringing me (his terrible 48).
    Anyway, We hope to see you there.
    Tom C.

10. sroffe

sroffe Member

Lot's of nice wooden boats. I wish I had a picture of my nice little pram I had when I was a kid. We bought the boat unfinished. My father and I finished it, it was a clear finished wood with a white bottom. Some creep stole it off my parent property a few years later.

Guess it's time for me and my son to build a pram.

Sam

11. riverrun

riverrun Member

Tom:

Thanks for the info and directions. Unfortunately, it looks like I will not be able to make it on the 22nd. Hopefully, there will be other opportunities to get together soon. RR

12. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

showing off pet projects

Got all excited about this until I remembered GF has us booked for a $^&#$$ cruise. bawling: Maybe next year.

13. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

could you send a pic of your trailer/boat to me?

I have never seen a canoe trailer and it sounds like a great idea.

14. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Hm, an old thread on wooden boats. Here's my baby, she's a 16' Don Hill built by Don in 1976.

15. Warren Messer

Warren Messer Member

Home Page:
    The boat I'm building now is not a fishing boat, but it could be used for that. I've made a bunch of youtube videos during the construction of the hull, to show how Stitch and Glue works. See them at www.youtube.com/redbarnboats. I will be posting several more before I'm done, so bookmark the link. I will start out again on the next hull with scarfing, layout, and lofting. What I am doing is not the only way to build a boat, but it works for me, and I am always changing the way I do things. So what you see is not written in any stone.

16. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Heres my driftboat[​IMG]
    I love it. Very light and easy to handle. www.riverwoodboats built it.

17. Bob Triggs

Media:
    Home Page:
    You who are interested in wooden fishing boats; designs, plans and building techniques etc, should check out the Events Forum and Calendar for the 31st Annual Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend, WA September 5/6/7.

I know of some amateur built Drift boats that will be there, a few old time fishing skiffs, prams etc. If you want to build your own boat this is a great event for seeing what is possible and finding out how best to begin.

The link: www.woodenboat.org/festival/

18. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    For those of you that will be in the Livingston area on August 30th there will be a Wooden Boat Show on the Banks of the Yellowstone at the Yellowstone Valley Ranch. Should be a good number of wooden driftboats on hand to oogle over! Unfortunately, I'll be in Glacier NP that weekend.

Josh

19. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Unfortunately???? I'd give my left cajone to be in Glacier any weekend. You live a charmed life.....

Wayne

20. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I bought my boat from a guy in Montana, pretty sure this is the show that my boat has been to. I probably will wait until next year, but I would like to pull my boat up to Port Townsend for that show... the website is pretty interesting. I'd be a clueless wooden boat owner at that show - just a guy that made a lucky purchase and is starting to learn a little.