Wooley bugger colors

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ricklea1953, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Just getting started in fly fishing so please bear with me if my questions seem too basic.

Besides black, is there another wooley bugger color I might want to try for western washington lakes? My primary focus will be wading in the sound for src and coho. For the salt, I have a basic salt water collection of flies. I also happen to live about 10 minutes from lake meridian (Kent) which is open all year. I thought I would use the lake as a place to perfect my casting. My lake collection to date includes only black wooley buggers. I thought I might try some brown as well. Any other colors I might want to consider?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Olive is a good second color. You can also mix colors, too. Try a bugger with black tail and hackle and olive body. People have combined red and black. I have a bugger that has an "insect green" tail, wintermint(?) new-age chennille body, and olive barred schlappen hackle. This variation has proved worthy, having caught mostly browns and some rainbows.

You might also try tying mini-buggers. These are tied on smaller hooks. Instead of using chennille, after securing the tail with a couple thread wraps, you continue wrapping the hook shank forward with the marabou to form the body. There are actually several different ways of making mini-buggers, but that's the route I took to make mine.

3. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    2 other colors that are useful are olive which could depending on size be taken for many things and white which at times can be very productive.
    tony

4. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    I usually carry them in white, brown, black, and olive. One of them will almost always work. Another great fly is the bow river bugger, I always have great success fishing them in lakes as an alternative to wooly buggers. Hope this helps.

Steven

5. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Good Advice.
    Always have an olive one available. Just as good as black.

Keith

6. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Thanks to all of you. Color selection/price is not an issue so I can try all that were recommended.

Rick

7. Connor Parrish

Connor Parrish Member

Media:
    I usually use olive or black. if you tie you can mix it up by adding some crystal flash or i like to put some peacock hearl in, sometimes a little extra can be the difference.

8. david.schepers

david.schepers skeeps

I also have had a bit of luck with the black and red

9. david.schepers

david.schepers skeeps

oh yeah, purple or purple and black are two other good choices

10. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    I think I've seen a variation of that. Red tail, black body and hackle, and silver ribbed. I've seen alot of fish taken on it, but I've never tied any up...
    -Ethan

11. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

iagreeiagreeiagreeiagreeiagree

My favorite

12. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    My two favorite lake buggers are:
    -ginger body with black hackle, black marabou and a conehead
    -Peacock body, brown hackle, stacked olive, brown and black marabou and a gold bead.

Of course I'm fishing these in south cental Alaska so things might be different down there but I think contrast, stiff hackle to push water, and coneheads/beads are universal fish catchers.

13. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

The Minni Lake Special is popular here in BC .
    Tail : maroon marabou , with a few strands of red or black crystal flash
    Body : maroon chenille
    Hackle : Grizzly
    Bead : optional

14. Quan

Quan Super Fat Cat Float Tuber

I'm intrigued. Where were you fishing? Was it a bright red or more of a maroon? Also, any idea what it's supposed to imitate or is it just an attractor?

Thanks,
    -Q

15. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    Olive, Black, Brown, Maroon, and White. You can combine these colors too. You can't go wrong with any of these colors. I have found that some colors work better at times, but all of them have produced well consistantly. Good luck.

16. Quan

Quan Super Fat Cat Float Tuber

Thanks, Ron! :thumb:

17. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I tied up a few red and black ones. I'll give them a try. I also use purple and black they seem to work well. My favorite and most productive seems to be olive with with light brown hackle palmered. Probably represents damsel fly nymph.

Keith

18. Otis28

Otis28 New Member

On the mini-buggers how small are you talking? 10, 12, smaller?

Thanks,

Otis28

19. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Try one with "Halloween New Age Chenille" palmered with black hackle and black marabou tail, with or without a gold beadhead, size 10.

This and a blacker version tied with "Black Pearl New Age Chenile" for the body were my 'go to" buggers last year and they drew lots of strikes. Size 10 was working great!

Olive, palmered in brown, with a big red thread head is a good one. I gave one of these in size 6 to a buddy of mine to troll with his spinning rod and some split shot, and he came back begging me to tie him up some more.

Grizzly is good. I had one good one tied up last year, size 8, with a brown marabou tail, and it was slaying 'em until I lost it. I'm not surprised I haven't tied up some replacements, since I'm so disorganized.

20. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Yup. Those sizes with 2XL or 3XL length shanks. I usually tie in some wire first, marabou second (securing the tail, winding the marabou forward to make the body, and then securing it with a couple of thread wraps behind the eye), tie in the hackle by the butt behind the eye and palmer it back to where the tail thread wraps are and the wire is sticking out. I then take two or three turns of the wire to tie down the hackle and then wind the wire forward through the hackle, to further secure the stem down against the body, until just back behind the eye. Secure the wire with a couple of thread turns and whip finish.

The bits of fluff sticking out of the marabou body will add a little bulk between the hackle, but, overall, this will be a fairly slender fly. It's always good to have a few in different colors. The limitation of this design is that the tail color will determine the body color. You can mix the hackle color against the tail and body color, but you won't have the color combinations available with your standard woolly bugger. Nonetheless, the advantage of the mini-bugger is its small size.