Woolley Bugger Swap - Newbie to Expert Tiers Welcome

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ed Call, Feb 19, 2010.

1. ansas

ansas The Good Ol' Days are Now!

Fininished up the batch to send out last night and I'll get them out Monday.

The Bi-Bugger

[​IMG]

PATTERN:
    Thread: Yellow-green 6/0 prewaxed.
    Hook: 6-10 streamer 2x, 3x or 4xl
    Weight: Weighted if you wish.......N.B. these are NOT weighted. You can also cone or bead the head if you want.
    Tail: Black marabou
    Rib: Copper wire.
    Body: Medium green chinelle wound-on, Medium brown chinelle along belly (tie in along the belly like a wing case and bind it down with palmer hackle).
    Hackle: Furnace saddle. Tie in at head after body is tied on. Plamer the hackle to the tail binding down the belly material. Tie the hackle in at the tail of the fly with the copper wire (al la Al Troth) and rib it up to the head.
    Head: Thread with cement over whip finish.

Here's the lot:

[​IMG]

:)

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    This in hand and in photos are looking good. Just updated the thread to show three sets in hand and two more in the mail. I hope all are well and on schedule. Please let me know of any issues, problems, delays, etc.

3. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    my will go in mail tomorrow

4. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    Mailed out yesterday...

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Half of us are done and in hand or in transit. How are the rest doing? Due to my place in eleven days. I will be giving all readers a break during the Hoh Down festivities by not being online! I can hear the cheering already. I should have everyone's upon my return and then I'll do the photo, divide, pack and ship as soon are reasonably possible. Maybe a swappers contest after...all you can take with you is this set of buggers and whomever catches the most/best fish gets some sort of bragging rights?

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Camo Clad Warrior's "The Fig" is certainly true to his statement. No one has tied one like that and I think that it will fish very well.

Western, gotta say man, every time I open a fly box from you I'm impressed. My pal Rob Ast always impresses me with his flies too, I can't wait to see his.

Everyone, for a just a woolley bugger swap, has gone way out there and tied up some awesome flies. I'm truly impressed and I've not had enough beer tonight, so I'm serious. You can do a lot with a bugger!

7. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Pity I'm seeing this late. My Hale/Bopps are pretty deadly.

8. Camo Clad Warrior

Camo Clad Warrior Member

I hope everyone likes what I tied. I have had great luck fishing them for panfish...

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Allison, why not host another swap? Lots of killer flies collecting on my swap desk right now.

10. Ed Call

Media:
    Just back from the Hoh Down. One set incoming in the mail. I have four to tie myself (ran out of time with the Hoh Down) and will connect with Rob on Wed to get his. I'll get them in the mail as soon as possible. These are looking fine all and I'm sure those trout will approve.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Whit's set are expected in the mail today. All others are in hand. I will do a quick photo set, spit them up and turn them around as soon as his arrive. My goal, should his arrive today as anticipated, is to have the photos taken and all of your self addressed stamped envelopes en route to you Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. I'll update the gallery with photos and update the thread when all flies are in the mail (or for handoff as arranged).

12. Ed Call

Media:
    Whit's flies did not arrive last night. I started separating the flies though. Once his arrive, likely today, I'll be ready to get them turned around. This is going to make a fine woolley bugger box! I'll try to get photos posted over the weekend too.

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Whit, still did not get your flies today. I did photo everyone else's and am about to post them in the gallery. All flies are spit up and as soon as Whit's arrive I'll photo his, add one to each of your sets and get them rolling. Whit said he mailed them. I've swapped with him before. As of now I'm holding them all until his arrive. Let me know if that does not work for anyone. Go check out the swap photos to see what you're going to be getting.

Edit: Photos uploaded. Click here: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/g18628-2010-woolly-bugger-fly-swap.html

14. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Mumbles Where's mine or it is there and you have given me a new name??? I don't mind if I don't get credit for what I tied as long as I get my portion of the swap flies back.....
    Blessings
    jesse

15. Ed Call

Media:
    Jesse yours are here. Did I mislabel them? I am out but will check when we get home. If yours are not photographed then I will take a pic and add it.

16. Ed Call

Media:
    Jesse, yours were not toe tagged. I mixed them up. I labelled your black and orange with UPSfisher's first name. I have it straightened out now. Thanks for keeping me on track.

Whit, are you out there man? Any chance you got yours returned or forgot to send them? You are the only one left. Hopefully Saturday's mail will have them. Ready to get all of these off my table.

17. Ed Call

Media:
    Okay all, Whit's flies did not arrive in the Saturday mail either. I had everyone's divided up and I sealed and then mailed all your packages back to you. I have a set for Whit. Once his arrive I'll send one to each of you on my postage and his share of everyone's flies to him. I might be in and out a lot over spring break so I wanted to get these out and off my desk.

18. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    I'll look forward to seeing eveyone's ties; the pictures look great!
    FYI, the blood bugger I sent in was my ace in the hole fly last weekend.
    All morning, got fish only occasionally on midges but nothing regular.
    Then in about an hour, netted 7 fish all bows between 18-20" on this bugger near the bottom...
    Then as luck would have, this bite shut off like a light switch.
    Still, I always have this bug in the box in early spring....

19. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    got my flies today. nice set of buggers.

20. Ed Call

Media:
    Wow Norm, you got yours already and yours had the furthest to travel. Awesome! Everyone should have theirs any time then.