Woolly Adams

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by GAT, Jun 6, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Adams.jpg

Time to name this one. It has worked to catch trout for me, John and most recently Jay, so I'm putting a name to the pattern. Jay headed out on Tuesday and not only caught something like 30 trout with the pattern but also an adult steelhead in the lake.

I decided to name it the Woolly Adams. If anyone ties them up and catches fish with the pattern, please let me know.

I'm using size 8 and size 12 long shank hooks. The grey blood quill marabou feather creates both the tail and body. There is fine silver wire attached to lock down the hackle fibers: which are dry fly quality, 1 each, coachman brown and grizzly. The bead head is black. Simple but effective.

2. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

That`s a nice looking pattern Gene . Do you strip one side of the hackles before wrapping ?

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Nope, I wrap them as you would a dry fly feather except as a palmer.

I started using shorter, dry fly quality feathers for my WBs and am happy with the results. I was originally taught to tie WBs with long, webby saddle feathers but recently ran across some WB patterns that were tied with dry fly hackles so I gave it a try. For whatever reason, the change in feather quality has increased the effectiveness of the WBs I've been tying.

I guess it should be no surprise that a Woolly Bugger tied with the same colors as an Adams dry fly would be a hit with trout. I just never thought of tying one with those colors until last month.

The next test will be using the pattern for trout in the Cascade Lakes.

4. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Gene... ya know those don't catch fish, better send 'em my way. :p

btw...most wooly worm and buggers that I used to buy on the N Umpqua as a kid, had dry fly hackle (and not the webby stuff) which I can't stand. I like the springier hackle myself.

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The first WBs I tied were for Chinook and on large hooks so wet fly quality saddle hackles made the most sense with the idea that the fibers would "pulse" in the rivers and provoke strikes. The flies worked so there must have been something to the theory.

Now that I'm tying much, much smaller WBs, the use of dry fly quality hackles is more practical and work just fine.... at least in stillwaters.

Oh, just heard from Jay. He went out to the lake again this morning and as the ODF&W planted trout in the 14-17 inch size (yesterday) he caught quite a few of those and hooked but couldn't land another steelhead before the wind came up and blew him off the lake.

He told me I need to tie a few more dozen of the Woolly Adams... I told him he needs to learn to tie them himself :)

(Now that I've given the pattern a name, it probably will never work to hook fish again!)

FinLuver likes this.
  6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I'll tie some up, Gene & keep you posted.

7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Do you tie in the blood quill for the tail and then wrap it forward for the body?

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yes. I use an entire feather... usually one with a thin quill. You lock down the feather with threads wraps above the hook barb area. This creates the tail... advance the thread to the hook eye and then you wrap the remainder of the marabou forward to the thread wraps behind the eye.. It helps to give the butt end a bit of a twist to make the wrapping easier.

One feather creates the tail and the body.

Basically, you start by tying a pattern I call a Turbo Leech... then you add the grizz and brown hackle feathers and secure the palmer wraps by winding the wire forward through the feather fibers to the hook eye.

This is how the tail and body is tied (but with grey marabou and silver wire):

404871270.jpg

404871269.jpg

404871268.jpg

If you want a leech pattern that works extremely well, you simply wind the wire forward to secure the marabou, tie it off and your done. This is how I tie all my leech patterns in different colors and sizes. It's a Turbo Leech and my buddies and I have been using them for decades.

I started using the same system for tying my WBs when I want the body the same color as the tail... it makes tying a WB much, much quicker and I'm all about taking as few steps as I can when it comes to tying flies.

Patrick Gould and FinLuver like this.
  9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I tell ya guys, this pattern is the new Super Fly!

I gave it a try yesterday while fishing for bluegill and bass at a local farm pond... I didn't catch any gills or bass (with anything) but I did catch three chub with the Woolly Adams.

If a pattern can catch the incredibly picky chub, you know you've come up with a pattern that is gold! I mean really, it catches chub!!!

:) :)

(satire for those who didn't get it)

plaegreid likes this.
  10. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the sbs Gene. I'm glad you stumbled on the uber fly. I'll be sure to spread the good news.

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I need to tie some more of these. Jay is retired and has been fishing Olalla off and on for the last couple of weeks. The only pattern that is working for him is the Woolly Adams and he's down to one... the problem with WBs is that they do eventually fall apart if you catch a lot of fish with the sucker.

He's hooked three adult steelhead in the lake, landed two and eventually lost one that he couldn't get into his pontoon boat before the fish spit the hook.

I was using extra fine silver wire for the rib so in attempt to make them a bit more sturdy, I'm tying the new ones with larger fine size wire.

Here's the interesting thing. The trout and steelhead are still hugging the bottom so he is spooling out almost all of his fast sinking line while trolling. That's the technique that is working for him. The weight of almost all the sinking line in the lake helps sink it very deep.

I'm heading over tomorrow with John to meet Jay at the lake and I'll try his technique. I'll also give him another supply of the patterns tied with heavier rib.

He's certainly sold on the fly.

FinLuver likes this.
  12. herefishynm

herefishynm Member

And here I thought I invented the turbo leech! I have been tying these lately kind of out of laziness, and was amazed that they work. I got a couple of big rainbows out of the upper Green on them in size 14 last year and several this year down in southern Colorado. Stupid fish will bite anything if they're in the mood, and nothing if they're not. Will jump on the Wooly Adams. Think it's a lot to do with how many they've seen.