Woolly bugger body

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rory McMahon, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    What material do you use for your woolly buggers. ultra chenelle? chenelle? estaz? estaz metalique? I tried ice chenelle but it has 0 durabilty and the a lot of it fell off as i was tying leaving a white string.
  2. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    All depends on the finished look you want. Chenelle is probably the most common. Rickard uses seal. Simi-seal works great in a dubbing loop. Estaz makes a great body without any hackle. You must have got some bad ice chenelle, mine has worked great.
  3. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    i want it to have some flash, more than just regular chenelle, what about antron? Would that work for a body.
  4. Swandazi Kevin

Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've never used antron, but it might work, peackock herl is also good to use.
  5. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    You could always just put flash in the tail. crystal chenelle or cactus chenelle works well. I use peacock alot.
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    If you are into tying up W/B's. Go to a Craft Store and see what they have to offer. You can drive your self nuts on what they have to offer.

Jim
  7. steve s Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    You can use anything that you want for the body of a woolly bugger. I usually use chenille or some sort of dubbing. Antron dubbing works great. I will usually pick out some of the dubbing after I have palmered the hackle to give the fly a buggier look. I don't like using antron yarn for the body, I just don't like the way that it looks.
    Good luck,

Steve S
  8. Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +60 / 0
    The trick I use with materials like ice chenille is to get twice the amount I need, double it over itself, tie in both ends, and then twist it into a tight rope with something like your hackle pliers before winding it on as the body (much like making a dubbing loop but the "dubbing" is the material already on the string). This traps in all the little plastic "fingers" and makes it quite durable.