Wooly Bugger color question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Wally Bear, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Wally Bear

Wally Bear New Member

Have not been able to sleep so I have been up all night tying flies. Tying on bigger hooks made it a lot easier and then I moved back down tot he #12 and it has gone a lot better and can now tie one in about 10 minutes. Slow by anyone's standards but mine. I am very happy with that compared to the first one that took me an hour. I now need to get some different colors. I do not need 26 dozen black wooly buggers.

I am going to order some olive and brown supplies in the morning so that I have those as well.

I have a question about other colors though. Do bright body colors work? I was thinking about buying some florescent blue and green chenille to wrap the bodies with and still use black marabou and black hackle. Has anyone done this on a wooly bugger (I am sure they have) and does it work for catching fish?

2. Chef

Chef New Member

I preface this by saying this is only my opinion (and to be frank, I dont know much)

The deeper you fish, the harder it is for the fish to see your color. I was watching brian Chans video last night and to fish deep, he uses a dark bug (in this case, he was tying a leech). I like black, olive, olive yellow, red, white, and I also have been using a lot of semi seal thats sparkly.

I hope this helps a little.

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Give it a go and see what happens, contrast is good.

4. Camo Clad Warrior

Camo Clad Warrior Member

They will catch fish. It is good sometimes to tie some crazy colors and variations to keep the imagination fresh. As far as producing I have had the best luck with black,brown,olive, aznd white.

5. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Wally, here's a few ideas that will catch fish this spring and summer.
    Tie a couple buggers with thin dubbed bodies (sz 12) use a bright green (AZ Simi Seal), light brown hackle, and a light olive tail with a gold bead head. Another good variation is to substitute the body hackle with partridge soft hackle right behind the bead head.
    One more idea to imploy that many of us use is to mix two colors of marabou for the tail such as brown and olive or black and olive. You'll be amazed at what a two toned tail will do. Buy and use beads for your buggers, gold, silver, black and etc.

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

If you are tying buggers-think about doing some of Denny Rickards Seal Buggers-an awesome fly. Just tie the normal bugger, no bead head, but wrap .20 lead (20 turns for a size 8 4x long ). Use a mixture of 2/3 black and 1/3 red seal substitute, possibly mixing in some black peacock ice dub. Form a dubbing loop and wrap it on. a very sexy fly! Rick

7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Use black and maroon maribou for the tail with a couple strands of flashabou or crystal flash. Denny doesn't use the end fibers of the maribou, thinking the side fibers are softer and flow better. Rick

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I like crayfish and sculpin colors. Black and Olive. Brown. Olive. Black. Variegated yellow and brown chenille and brown feathers mostly.

9. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

hard to beat purple or maroon in waters with lots of leeches. white is a good color too! ginger as well.

10. Wally Bear

Wally Bear New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. A large response like this is very helpful, especially for a beginner who needs not only direction but also where limits may or may not be. All these ideas really help.

11. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

View attachment 38981

peacock body, brown tail, grizzly hackle, red wire rib, gold bead... GAME OVER!

12. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

i like to tie on 3X long hooks rather then 4X long, the shorter shank will help hold fish. 4X long is pretty big when its sz 6 and up

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    The possibilities are endless with color combos and wooly-buggers. I'm with philster for my home-water. Crayfish and sculpin in the natural colors are impossible to beat. I just picked up some varieties of barred zonker strips and about 10 different color combos of veriegated chenille last weekend and just starting to play around with some life-like looking articulated sculpins.

14. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    One of the best wooly bugger's i have ever used had white marabou, white chenille body, and black hackle. I recently tied one up. I'll post a pic here soon.

15. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    definetely black and white contrast

16. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
  17. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Wally, it's OK to use the end of the marabou if you want, (I do) but be sure and cut a inch or so out of the center of the stem, it will have much better movement. There really is no limit to color combinations, remember the fish are looking up and straight ahead most of the time, so a dark fly will have much better contrast against the sky then a light colored fly and the sky is almost always lighter than the bottom. A lighter fly will have more contrast against the bottom and sides of the lake most of the time, Just something to keep in mind (it works for me, at least most of the time).

18. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    You can never tell what will work with trout as far as colors go sometimes they will fire up on the craziest things, over at cady lake every year there is a womens fly fishing club that shows up every year and I can't even begin to describe some of the wild looking buggers I've pulled out of huge trout (28" and larger) that have broken them off after one of these weekends, forget match the hatch I would look at one of these flies and think not on your life it just goes to show you never can tell.
    tony

19. Spey Dog

Spey Dog New Member

My best colors has been black body with white hackle and rubber legs imparted in them. I switched to tubes a few years ago also as hook up ratio increased due to the shorter hook shank when playing in.

20. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    YEP!