Would this boat be perfect for SRC and running around the sound?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Benjy, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
  2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    It's a good deal if you leave it with the console steering. I think the value goes away cuz you'll spend some money converting it to tiller.

Sg

3. martyg

martyg Active Member

I just had a 50 Yamaha converted to a tiller and it was maybe $800. Leave the console. Dump that forward seat.

4. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

It looks like a good deal for the price! The boat and trailer seem to be in good condition. A boat like that would do well on Puget Sound plus it should be relatively easy to launch due to weight particularly if you are launching it alone vs. a heavier fiberglass boat of the same length. The big question would be the condition of the motor. If it has a power tilt so much the better. I presently have a side console boat and previously had a boat that was operated with a triller. A side console IMHO is a lot better than a tiller for the following reasons: (1) get protection from wind and somewhat from rain, (2) more comfortable ride with soft seat with back, (3) stearing wheel makes it easier to stear boat. If you get the boat I think that you will like the side console and not want to convert it to a tiller.

Roger

5. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    I would be going in with the idea of putting a brand new motor on it, which is why I thought I'd go tiller. I was thinking about putting a 25HP on it.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    It looks like a newer evinrude on it (what you can see of it anyways). I'd leave it as is. Just take those damned extra seats out. Will open up boat. I've owned both tillers and forward steering. Now, if you planned to do alot of sidedrifting, you'd want open with tiller. But when I was out on the sound with my forward steering, I LOVED it. Especially on crappy days. Mine had a canvas too, so I could turn heater up, turn on wipers, and troll when weather got crappy. Was a benefit for me since I had little kids at the time that went with me. Plus, was funny how my buddies, who gave me crap for "going soft" were the first to sit up under the front while I drove and they watched their rods in the rod holders from the warmth of the front. LOL

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I agree with the leaving the console in place. A bit of wind/spray protection when you are heading from the launch to your spot is alwasy a good thing. I also like the idea of the front seat out, leaving the other seats side by side. That allows lots of room for crab traps, coolers and casting. That looks like a nice boat for covering the local beaches.

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Great advice! Don't become a "tiller monkey." Its only downhill from there. Next thing ya know, you'll be side-drifting roe.:rofl:
    I like that hull, by the way.

9. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Active Member

What do you gain with a tiller other than space? Weight distribution would be better as it is currently set up. Keep the motor, leave it alone and use it a couple of times before you make any decisions...you will probably change your mind once you use it.

10. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I've got an almost identical boat except its a 15', so a little smaller but the setup is the same. Like you, I had originally through of swapping out the SC for a tiller, but after using it a few times I really started to like the console. Would be a good boat for what you described. The platform upfront works great as a casting deck. I also installed an electric motor on the bow which makes the front platform more functional.