Would this work as a shooting basket?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Fairways_and_Greens, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Fairways_and_Greens Member

Ratings: +9 / 0
    Would this work as a shooting basket or do you think it wouldn't be durable enough?
    [IMG]
    Seems like it wouldn't flood and be super lightweight...
  2. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Absolutely. If you could rig up some vertical dowels/pins in the bottom, you'll help keep your line from tangling.
    Where/what is that?
  3. funfisher Fish On!

Suquamish, WA
    Ratings: +25 / 1
    Whoa.... what are the dimensions?
  4. Fairways_and_Greens Member

It's called an "kidney aquatic planting basket". 18 inches wide, 7 inches out, 6 inches deep.

There's lots of places for cheap in Great Britain. $20 is the cheapest I can find in the states. If I can find one for $10 I'll pull the trigger.
  5. Fairways_and_Greens Member

6. FerrousTortoise New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    There have been some great threads on DYI stripping baskets. Search for the IKEA one. It is cheap and works great.
  7. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Just my opinion, but I don't think it has enough width in regards to how far out it would stick out in front of you. 7" doesn't give you much room to strip your line into.
    If you really get into salt fishing, bite the bullet and get either the Linekurv or Orvis basket. It will be money well spent.
    SF
    Ed Call, Andrew H, mtskibum16 and 2 others like this.
  8. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    One reservation that i would have with that is the fact that it will fill up with water. There was a nice DIY thread utilizing a child's step stool from IKEA. That one did not have holes in it. Search function should find it.

I would agree with Stonefish about the Linekurv basket. I recently picked one up at Puget Sound Fly Co and love it. I believe Pacific Fly Fishers and Gig Harbor Fly shop both carry them as well.
  9. Fairways_and_Greens Member

The linekurvs are that nice huh? The Flexistrip looks pretty nice as well...
  10. Jeff Sturm Member

Everett
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I used my new Linekurv yesterday and absolutely loved it. Previously, I was using an collapsible one that picked up at Pacific Fly Fishers (Peter Jeffries?) and routinely walked off the beach frustrated beyond belief with it...

Linekurv is awesome...no kinks, knots, or frustration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Ed Call likes this.
  11. Mike Garritson Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    It would work, but I don't think 7 inches is wide enough. I've made two, one of which was just under 8 inches wide that just pissed me off. Made another from a "step stool" similar to the Ikea model. Mine came from Target in the baby department and works great.
  12. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Yes they are.
    Ed Call likes this.
  13. Fairways_and_Greens Member

Well Jeez, you talked me into it. I'll see if Pacific Fly Fishers has one or I'll hit Puget my next time down the 5... Thanks Stonefish!
  14. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Avid Angler carries the Linekurv baskets as well.
  15. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,085 / 0
  16. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
  17. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.

I had one of those collapsible POS's before I bought my LineKurv. But I don't feel it was a complete waste of money - turns out to be a killer berry picking basket!
  18. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Also make sure to ask questions whether you go to puget sound or pacific. Both stores are fountains of knowledge. Great folks who can give you a lot of valuable tips when starting out.
  19. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    Looks like it might be a bit narrow. The IKEA children's basket seems to be the best alternative at this point.
  20. Jeff Sturm Member

Everett
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    BRILLIANT!!