Would you support a statewide Wild Steelhead C&R fishery and Why?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by KerryS, Mar 28, 2007.

?

Would you support a statewide Wild Steelhead C&R fishery and Why?

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Yes. Less morality will potentially open rivers up that have been closed in the past to an extended C&R season... This would potentially be a boon to the state in terms of additional revenue....

2. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    I support cnr on wild steelhead.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You can have a CnR all you want and the people that obey it are the honest ones. And sometimes I wonder about them. There is no way this can be enforced.

Remember when they closed down all the rivers in the Wenatchee area. Nobody went broke over there. That would be a good area for this but you just can't enfoece it. I just wonder how many Steelhead are caught and kept durning the Whitefish season on the Wenatchee River.

Jim

4. FT

FT Active Member

Yes. the number of people (both from in state and from states rather far away) now going to the Forks area rivers so they can bonk the single wild fish they are legally allowed to each year has gotten to be ridiculous. In my opinion, it is past time to have year-round CnR on all steelhead rivers.

And it matters not to me if the NA's adopt it or not because if sports fishers don't kill their half of the "surplus fish", there will be more fish spawning and available anyway. Besides, the federal courts gave the NA's the "right to fish" and the state can do nothing about that since it would take federal court action to overturn Bolt, something that is not going to happen. It is time we get over this if the NA's can kill wild steelhead, so should we and help keep what is left instead of bonking them and further depleting their numbers.

As far as poaching, it happens whether there is CnR, closed seasons, or the current single wild fish/year retention. Poachers don't care, all they want is fish in the freezer or BBQ.

5. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    I C&R all steelhead. :thumb:

6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    The NA's kill a whale. Should I? C&R Please.
    jeff

7. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Anyone who has not joined the Wild Steelhead Coalition and is serious about protecting steelhead should go to the website ASAP an sign up. Also, it is important to remember that even with catch-and-release of wild steelhead there is still a percentage those that do not survive the recovery process. They represent harvest.
    Les Johnson

8. Skagit Angler

Skagit Angler I miss Ed's Sports

A wild steelhead is too majestic an animal to kill, period.

Period.

9. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Couldn't agree more. It doesn't matter what the law is if it's not enforced. Do we really drive near the speed limit in situations where it's obviously safe to go faster because we think that some agency/study/government employee has any clue? No. We do it because we know we'll get a ticket sooner or later if we don't. It's that simple.

10. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I agree completely and I have said the same countless times but don't you think we are a rediculous group of people when we can say and believe this and yet harass the crap out of these fish?

11. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Do you mean 'most of the time'? C&R still kills some. Are you against C&R? Are you against fishing in rivers where wild steelhead MIGHT be hooked and killed 'incidently'?

If the all our runs were brimming with majestic wild steelhead (like pink salmon for example), would killing a few here and there be OK then?

Just trying to understand your position better...

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I voted yes. Releasing all wild steelhead that I catch is what I've been doing since 1981. One reason I support that action is because when I began steelhead fishing, there were 160+ rivers in WA that had harvestable wild steelhead. Now there are 10 or 12 (allegedly) remaining on the OP. Releasing wild steelhead costs me nothing, and might help a run meet its escapement goal that otherwise would not.

Sg

13. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

There are just so relatively few of these wonderous creatures left. Give them a break.