Woven Body Nymphs

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Southsound, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

South Puget Sound (again!), WA, USA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have been teaching myself the overhand weave used for building woven body nymphs and wanted to share a couple of the latest versions I have tied for impressions and suggestions. Both of the larger flies shown are based on the written descriptions of technique for the Olympic Stone patterns by Jim Garrett as retold by Trey Combs in his "Steelhead Flyfishing" book. The smaller pattern is an attempt at a small golden stone.

I am still trying to get the proportions right on all of the pieces, but felt OK enough about these two to share with the board.

Comments, etc. more than welcome...

Thanks

Steve Cole
    Olympia

Attached Files:

2. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Geez, i'm not to sure they look not quite right. Send me a few and I will let you know how they fish and give them a closer inspection.
  3. mtelford Mike Telford

Bend, Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    They look great. What are you using for the body material?
  4. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I gotta learn to do that
  5. chattmr has never caught a steelhead... (its sad, I know)

Birmingham, AL
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Nicely done. I recently went throught the proces of learning this technique, and it is well worth the effort...
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Dryflylarry gave a demo at the Kitsap Open Vise Night last week. Awesome display (on a non dry fly though larry). I'll give it a try.

By the way your flies look tremendous! I'm with Matt on needing you to send me a handful for an on the water field test. They look like great bugs to me.
  7. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

South Puget Sound (again!), WA, USA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Sorry for the delay in getting back with the specifics - here is what I have come up with so far during my "experimental phase"...

Hook - Alec Jackson Spey #6
    Thread - 140 Denier Gel Spun Black for Body, 8/0 Uni for the thorax and finish
    Bead Head - 4 MM Tungstun Black
    Tail - Porcupine Quill Tips
    Body - Woven using overhand technique
    - Micro Chenille for Belly Color
    - Silk or Larva Lace for Carapace in Black or Brown
    Thorax - Dubbed Red Seal Fur, trimmed short
    Legs - Hackle to length of hook gap (or there abouts...)
    Wing Case - Black Turkey, coated with Flexament

Notes: I add what is probably optional additional weight with lead or other wire wound around the hook shank from the bead through thorax area
    I try to taper the body section after installing the tail by winding the thread up to the thorax then returning it to a place about an 1/8 inch or so before the tail, then a return to the thorax, back to about a 1/4 inch before the tail, and so on.
    So far, I have found that tying the pieces of micro chenille and silk/larva lace parallel to one another under the hook shank tends to give the body segmentation more uniformity.
    Lastly, while snugging up the overhand knot, I have broken one or both pieces of the body material so I try not to muscle this part too much
    I have not found a way to be speedy about building these flies, especially with the knotting of the materials and changing threads... if someone has thoughts on that part, I would love to hear 'em.

Thanks Fellas...

Steve Cole
  8. Jacob Peterson Member

Olympia, Washington
    GIVE ME SOME!!!!!! those are really cool. Ill give you some black stone flies for those stoneflies=]
  9. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +281 / 0
    I think those are great. So much so that I finally broke down and went to the fabric store, purchased some embroidery floss, watched a couple You tube videos and started tying some the last few nights. Thanks for the inspiration, it's a nice technique to add to the tying arsenal.
  10. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    way too pretty to use unfortunately. fantastic job!!
  11. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Which YouTube videos? :thumb:

Thanks!
  12. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +281 / 0
    This one was the easiest to follow for technique. He uses wire for this pattern.

Another with wire:

A callibaetis nymph with embroidery floss:
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    When doing the weave use a smaller size line or whatever you use for the bottom of the fly. I used to tie these up by the 100's but after a while I got tied of tying them.

I learned this system how to tie from Aaron at River Run Anglers. Aaron also has a good supply of yarn, string, or chord or whatever you plan to use.

I used embroidery thread. It made wonderful bodies. Plus I used the nor-vise to spin the under bodies. A rotary vise is a must. Makes it easier to tie.

Jim

Plus do it in Steps. Like make 10 flies with the underbodies and then do the weave on all ten and then finish them off. By tying ten at a time you don't get your fingers to tired.