Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wrapping hackle?

697 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Steerman 
#1 ·
I am tying some beach patterns for this season's pink and coho runs in BC. I love the California Neal patters, specifically the Lazer Neil. But, I am having trouble making it look like the picture..... It seems that the hackle is wrapped from the eye back to the tail. That is fine but how is it tied in at the back? The body is lazer wrap and if the hackle is the last thing to tie in I cannot bring the thread back to the eye. Do I whip finish at the back and start again on the head??? If anyone is familar with this fly I have a few more tying questions as well...

#2 ·
I've always wrapped the hackle of the California Neal in the conventional manner of a palmered hackle; tying it in at the rear of the hook and winding up to the head. If you leave a tiny amount of gap between the wraps of Edgebrite (or whatever) you can actually feel the hackle stem snap into place between them as you wind it.

The version with the fluorescent-orange head seems to be particularly popular in BC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.