Wrapping single foot guides

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Sloan Craven, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Looking for tips on an easy way to keep single foot guides in place while wrapping them. Ive got big hands so I can't just hold it in place while I do it.
    Thanks.

2. Sloan,
    I've use superglue for years. Just a very small amount will give you a short period of time to adjust the placement. Place the glue onto the foot, then use a tooth pick to wipe off the excess before placing it onto the blank.

Don

3. As a practice, I would respectfully disagree with Willie on this one. Super glue is both unforgiving on you and the rod. If you don't have guides aligned properly, you have no additional chances to change it. I'm kinda extrapolating though so maybe Willieboat has a way of applying it that I don't know about...

Here are the ways that I've done things though.... Take wide blue tape... Cut it across the face into thin strips. Use 2 of them to hold it down... Another method uses rubber bands. Cut them in half..... Use them and granny knots to hold the guides down. I've also used lengths of medical rubber tubing on the larger guides (and thicker sections of the blank).

Other alternatives inlcude the Flex Coat guide cement. It's more forgiving that super glue (you can remove it without damaging the blank), and holds *just* well enough.

4. Just a thin strip of masking tape.

5. On super small guides, I've tried starting the wrap, putting the guide partially on top of the wrap, and wrapping over the mid point of the guide, then very carefully sliding it forward. Guide prep is essential here, and it's easy to mess up. Fortunately, it's also easy to start over.

6. so what do you tape?

7. The the part of the guide foot closest to the ring. If the guide doesn't sit flat, use some flat bladed needle nose pliers to straighten it out, so it does sit flush Then use a small file to round out and flatten the tip of the guide. Brush lightly with some 600 grit to deburr it and you should be golden.... If you're having issues getting the thread to ride up the guide foot easily, you need to do more guide prep.... Sloan, you have my sympathies. Out of all the tasks of making rods, guide prep and guide spacing are the things I hate the most...

8. I used to use strips of tape, then guidefoot glue (which sucks), then squares of tape with a slit cut through them which i slid the eye through and pressed the tape around the blank, and now I use Jake's method..........takes the most skill but is the quickest once you get the hang of it.

I'd have to agree, I'd never use superglue......how do you adjust the guides after wrapping?

9. I have also been using super glue. I have found it to be not so super except in gluing your fingers together should you not be careful. Wiping away the excess allows you to make corrections. I have had to remove them once in awhile and have always been able to do this without damage to the blank or guide. There is also this stuff that my wife "Crafts" with. It is called "Ailenes Tack it Over and Over"
    it is made for temporary tacking of fabric. It is not strong but it holds well enough while you CAREFULLY wrap your guides.

LoonHaunt Dave

10. Well, I ended up using a little bit of tape and wrapped the guides backwards. Not super, but decent in the end.
    Learned a valuable lesson, won't use single foot guides ever again.
    Not sure of any advantage to single foot guides to make the hassle worth while.....Anyone?

11. Depends on the application. I firmly believe that the smaller the rod, the more noticable the difference. The lower mass makes the rod snappier feeling. Larger rods like a spey rod it's less valuable as the mass of the line is a bigger factor on rod feel....

12. Sloan, I found that after a while, I can actually wrap the single foots a lot faster than the double foots and they are a lot easier to adjust than double foots after about my 3rd single foot build. For light line trout rods, i tend to prefer single foots because they keep the rod lighter and a "crisper" feeling. If you ask around, some people think single foots are the best thing since sliced bread.....

13. Pinstrip tape, comes in very narrow width. A roll will last a very long time. Auto parts store will have it.

14. On the couple of rods I have made I used tape over the eye of the guide. That would hold it in place well enough to get the wrapping on it. I think they are the best thing since slice bread but I think it's because I started off as a gear fisher and I never got used to snake guides.

Scott

15. I use the medical tubing approach and found it to be the best for me. The trick is finding a couple of sizes of tubing that will handle the various sizes you would need - there is a big difference between the lower end of a large rod and any tip. Once the thread has a grip, cut off the tubing. Fuel line tubing sold by hobby shops for gas powered remote control cars works good. It is cheap. You simply cut it into very small o-rings. I usually tape the top couple of guides as the tubing isn't small enough. If you are only building one or two rods, I would just use very thin strips of blue masking tape.

16. I use the rubber bands from my kids braces, though for the tip you have to double them over a few times. But it works quite well. I agree that the key here is to prep the guide well so that the thread wraps easily over the foot without pushing it out of the way.

Wayne