Wright's Royal

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Keith Hixson, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Hook : Dry fly #10-#16
    Abdomen : Rear 1/3 of hook - Peacock herl
    Middle 1/3 of hook - Red floss
    Wing : Light elk hair
    Thorax : Front 1/3 of hook - Peacock herl
    Hackle : Dark brown, palmered through the thorax

Wright’s Royal

While he was owner of The Complete Fly Fisher shop in Wise River Montana, Phil Wright developed this attractor for fishing the Big Hole River. It could represent a flying ant, caddis, or many other bugs floating on the surface. When tying this fly, don't make the wing too full and be sure to bind it tightly to the hook to prevent the thorax from becoming too bulky. Palmer the hackle so that the peacock herl shows through. I prefer this fly to the Royal Wulff.

Attached Files:

2. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    I like the looks of that, I think I'll need to give it a whirl. One question: Do you tie in the wing, then add peacock herl in front of that (And palmer the hackle over the top of the herl)?
  3. Keith Hixson Active Member

I like to tie in the peacock herl, secure with with half hitch, tie in wing, tie in hackle, finish the peacock herl, palmer in the hackle whip finish the head.

Some variations I've seen. Buck tail wing, or dark elk hair. I like the darker elk hair. But that is my preference.

I've seen this catch fish when the Royal Wulff wasn't getting the job done.

Hope this helps.
  4. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +791 / 0
  5. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +127 / 0
    That would be awesome in green or yellow also.
    Keith Hixson likes this.
  6. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    Hello Keith,
    this is a great fly and also your tying technique on this fly is superb!

Mike
  7. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    superb fly tying

and they can be quite effective
  8. Keith Hixson Active Member

DSCN0032.JPG I tried to get a good pic of one my own flies but it I just can't seem to get my camera to work right. So I used a photo I found on line of the Wright's Royal. This is a pic of one I tied. Wasn't intending on promoting my fly tying but to promote a very good fly that is over looked.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,663 / 0
    Many moons ago, one of our fishing buddies conducted a stream study for his doctorate in Montana. Someone showed him the pattern and he brought it back here. We always considered it a Royal Caddis and never did know the actual name of the pattern. We do know it works in rivers and used it with good success right up to the time that we switched to stillwaters.
  10. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +878 / 0
    Neat fly. I saw Charlie Craven's version on http://www.flytyingclips.com/ and thought it looked cool so I tied it with a tail and called it a variation.

[IMG]

Regards,
    Scott
    plaegreid likes this.
  11. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +429 / 0
    Very nice fly, Keith. My old eyes fail me, but it would appear that the original picture does not have a tail but the variant in Scott's picture obviously does. Is that correct?
  12. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +328 / 0
    Scott,

You ties and SBS's are awesome and well appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ted
  13. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +328 / 0
    Likewise to you Keith!
  14. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    The one we used had no tail. It was basically tied in a Fluttering Caddis style with a Royal Coachman body.
    Keith Hixson likes this.
  15. Keith Hixson Active Member

The original is tied without a tail. I usually tie it without a tail. I have seen it tied with a tail and it works just as well. I have some tied with tails but most of mine are tied without. I have use the Royal Wulff and still have a few in my box, but I believe this to be an overall better for an attractor fly than the Royal Wulff. Just wanting to let others know of the options. If you go to a fly shop in Montana they carry Wright's Royal, but not so much here in the Northwest.
  16. Keith Hixson Active Member

Another great attractor pattern is the Renegade. Maybe someone should start a thread on it. A friend of mine and I were fishing Marshall Lake in the Selkirks just out side of Newport, WA. When we got to the launch a kid of about 15 or 16 told us he had caught a bunch of trout on the Renegade and then he said, "I think there must be a Renegade Hatch." My buddy and had a hard time keeping a straight face, but we did have a good chuckle once we got away from the dock.
  17. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    For reasons unknown to me and my fishing buddies, a sunken Renegade works in stillwaters for fooling trout.... maybe they represent emergers for the Renegade hatch. :)
  18. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +175 / 0
    Renegade is the first fly I tie on when I hit backcountry lakes. It has helped to fill many a hungry belly after a day of hiking.
  19. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +127 / 0