WSU flyfishing and Dads weekend

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    First off, I know there was a thread about a fly fishing class. Found one from like 5 years ago, but I only correct things on here not known for being computer savy. LOL. But I just moved my daughter over to WSU yesterday. Of course she's away from home for the first time (she's an incoming junior) and thought I'd try connecting her to something like this. She's done some tying and fishing, and think this would be good for her. Keep her connected back to me this way. Is the class still going? Also do they have a club too? I've done some web searches too, most articles are pretty damned old on subject.

And I'm planning on heading over for Dad's weekend. Everyone keeps telling me I have to go. Any do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

Just being the overly protective and helpful Dad. Was a typical hard ass day driving her over and leaving her. Just trying to help her adjust.

2. Ramblin Rick

Ramblin Rick New Member

Dad's weekend is a hoot. My daughter graduated from WSU and I went every year. I fished the snake one year and hoped out of the drift boat, flagged down the greyhound and made it to Pullman for the weekend. They really do make the dads feel welcome. Go and enjoy.

fredaevans likes this.
  3. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

WSU has a great Outdoor Program. The link is below. She can get out and recreat all she likes like; climbing biking kayaking rafting. Here's the link

http://urec.wsu.edu/orc

rwbailey05 likes this.
  4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I got to go to Dad's weekend all four years my daughter attended. We also made plenty of other trips over and being alumni, my wife and I have been going back for years for Homecoming. The town comes alive on the weekends. Lot's to do. I have tickets and a place to stay for this year again. Can't wait to get back over there.

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    My only advice, when you go over for Dads weekend. Leave the hardass at home and have fun with your daughter on her turf.
    jesse

fredaevans likes this.
  6. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

I am attending Wsu. Let me know if you want to do some fishing whilst over here. I fish the Clearwater, Snake, and Grand Ronde for them steelies

7. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

I am not sure about the club, but univ of Idaho had a fly tying class coming up. It's about 40 bucks, bring your own vice/materials

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think she found the class I was asking about. Nice thing, she can use the class for her degree (Vet Science) surprisingly. She's looking into it.

Yeah, I don't plan on doing anything but hanging out with my daughter during Dad's weekend. And no worries, there's not a "hard ass" when it comes to my little girl. :) I'm a typical "Daddy". ;)

9. Ryan Bailey

Ryan Bailey Feeshing Photographer

The Lochsa and Kelly are within a short jaunt from Wazzu and we also fished the river near Troy just east of Moscow, I think it was the Elk? The school used to offer a fly-fishing class for 1 PE credit in Bohler gym when I was there, not sure if they still do. The school did have a fly-fishing club as well.

Also, Dad's weekend is a blast. My dad came over for every one while I attended and there was never a dull moment, plus the team was actually good when I was there so that helped. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I can kind of remember where we fished when I was there...

Cheers and Go Cougs!

10. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

Dads Weekend (and Moms Weekend) was always a blast over there. Enjoy it, just don't let her take you to the basement of Mike's after midnight... Man I miss Pullman. Go Cougs.

11. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

I went to Dad's weekend years ago to meet my son. First thing I saw was a T-shirt that said "Welcome to WSU Home of the 4 year party with the $40,000 cover charge"

What Jesse said - "Leave the hardass at home and have fun with your daughter on her turf."

fredaevans likes this.
  12. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, I should add, I'm not going there to fish on Dad's weekend. I was only asking about the flyfishing class and club for my daughters sake. She's always dabbled in it. Think it'd give her something to keep in connection with "Daddy" while she was there. Why I was asking. She's looking into it, just inundated with other things right now just moving over to Pullman. Just trying to do the Daddy thing and helping her out as much as I can. Already putting flytying materials aside and a vise/tools for her (plus a rod/reel) if she decides to do it. :)

Gary Knowels likes this.
  13. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Jerry, I attended way too long ago to give you any good tips on places to go, although The Coug (famous watering hole) and Ferdinand's (the creamery, where you can get great ice cream and stock up on Cougar Gold) are still there and should be visited if possible. At a minimum you should take her to the football game. The Cougs should be pretty entertaining to watch this season.

14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

By all means, don't miss Sella's Calzone and Pizza at the bottom of the hill and across Main st. from the Stevenson Dorm complex. That's if you can get in and find a table. It's normally full but on Dad's and Mom's weekends, it becomes a timing thing. Especially after the game. Best Calzones I've ever eaten. By the way, Mom's weekend is one of the wildest you can imagine. My wife and I always went to both.

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Ah Yes ... Dad's weekend. You have no idea how much money you are about to spend on Pizza and Beer. Twenty some on the pushed together tables-her class mates .... I was the only 'Adult' and the waitress asked: "Are you the one paying for all this?" Just nodded my head ... well over $150.00 later we finalized the bill.:eek: She got a hell of a good 'tip.'

More tables were pushed together. PARTY!!!!! Finally came to my senses and 'Let them buy their own beer.' Mom was in her mid '60's at that time and when we got back in the car .. "What the hell just happened?"

One of the best questions I've ever been asked.

fae

16. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Lodging is at a premium in Pullman on special event weekends. If you don't have a room booked for Dad's Weekend on the first day you can reserve a hotel (in the Spring), you'll probably have to stay in Lewiston. Or you may be already planning to sleep in your truck, which isn't so bad.

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    I actually have a place to stay at my Daughter's apartment. So I'm good. :)

Itchy Dog likes this.
  18. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I've been to 5 Dad's weekends, my son was a little slower at the studies. (He's now at Eastern, getting a second degree so that he can teach special ed.) The weekend was always fun, did a little of everything there. Went fishing on Friday while he was in classes a couple times on the snake, even remember the big tug on 3 mile run on a Babine special. Did the golfing at Palouse ridge. Watched football and Bball. Even went up to Spokane one year. The last couple years picked up another son from Gonzaga to make it a threesome. Always love the feel of being on campus.

Just got back from Gonzaga yesterday where we dropped off child number 4, my only daughter. So this year I have 2 at Gonzaga and 1 at Eastern. Gonzaga has a family weekend, WSU has the Dad's and Mom's weekend, I had one go through UW and they had nothing like this. Too bad, it's fun to see your kids in their environment.

Enjoy the time there.

Wayne

fredaevans and Jerry Daschofsky like this.
  19. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

My dad used to come over and terrorize me and my fraternity brother at the Lambda Chi house! Dad's weekend, Mom's weekend, Homecoming- it didn't matter, he was there. We had an absolute blast.

My nephew started there last week and my dad is saying we need to go over for dad's weekend. Gulp.

My advice: buckle your chinstrap and go have fun!

fredaevans and Jerry Daschofsky like this.
  20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Having fun following this thread. Son and I were U of W; daughter headed 'east.' Cross State football game and we're on a chat line ragging the hell out of each other.