WT rod for Steelhead and Salmon??

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by J Nordwell, Dec 5, 2006.

1. J Nordwell

J Nordwell New Member

I'm looking at my frist fly rod for steelahead and salmon. I've been told 7 wt by a few people and then was told 8 wt just incase I hook into a salmon, Then I was told 8 wt for steelhead and a 10 wt for salmon. Since I plan on buying 1 rod should I get a 8wt or a 9 wt?? Thanks for the help. I'm looking at getting a TFO rod in either a 2 or a 4 piece. A good reel maybe a Orvis mig arbor and a multi tip fly line. Does this sound about right??? Thanks
    Josh

2. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    A 7 or 8 weight is ideal for steelhead, coho, and Pink Salmon. An 8 is sometimes a little light for chum salmon, especially the large ones we get in Washington. An 8 weight is too light for chinook, a 10 or 11 would be better suited for that large of fish. You'll need to determine what species you're most likely to target/encounter and base the rod weight accordingly.

3. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
  4. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    Based on where you live, you can realistically fish for steelhead 12 months and maybe 3 months for chinook. If you are only going to get one rod, get the 8 weight and if you hook a big chinook, well, you can probably get it in with the 8 but if you bust the rod, that’s what TFO’s life time warranty is for :)

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

An 8 will serve you well for WA/OR Fishing....just one suggestion..Get the four piece...you will be glad you did....Sounds like a good set-up :)

6. J Nordwell

J Nordwell New Member

Why the 4 piece?? I really don't know any where to really do some backpacking for steelhead at least not off hand. The 4 piece package is about 60 bucks more then the 2 piece. I'm still up in the air. The package is the rod, reel,line,backing and a rod tube. 440 bucks. Is this a good deal??? The 2 piece deal is like 370. Thanks for the help.
    Josh

7. MauiJim

MauiJim ka lawai'a

Media:
    Hey Josh,

Go cast those rods-- the 2 pc rod (Signature series) has a much different action than the 4pc (either the Pro or TiCr series). You'll like a 4pc rod, they're just more convenient overall. It's not just the number of pieces you're considering here, it's the actual feel of the rod. I find that faster rods like the TiCr make it easier for me to cast heavy sink-tips and fight bigger fish.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Josh,

Most experienced anglers will agree that an 8 wt is the best all around steelhead fly rod if you can have only one rod. It will serve for salmon so long as you understand you will be undergunned for chinook.

I always preferred two piece rods, but the 4 piece one nowadays are very good, and with many, you can't tell the difference from a 2 piece. I've been traveling for a trip or two the last few years, and 4 piece are much better for air travel.

I'm not familiar with the pricing for the gear you describe, so I have no opinion about how good a deal it is.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

9. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

The guides I fished Tarpon with in Belize used the 4 piece, even though they were fishing from boats. I asked about that, and the answer had to do with shipping, but my guide felt there was no drawback to the 4 piece.

BTW, I chose 9'9" 3pc 8 wt for my latest steelhead/slamon rod. I like it...

10. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    I really like my 9'6 8wt for winter steelhead, coho and chum salmon. I think for throwing sink tips, long casts, mending, and all the other things that go along with fishing anadromous fish on the west coat, the extra sink inches is a benefit. you may want to look into that.

11. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    All my older rods are 2 or 3 piece, but over time are being replaced with 4-pc rods. Just so much more convenient to store or carry, whether on a plane, in a back pack or on a trail bike. It's worth the $60 bucks to me, though there are lots of great deals on ebay for 2 pc rods.

The 8 wt is the happy medium for winter steelhead and small salmon, plus it is the rod weight of choice if you're ever looking at chasing bonefish.

12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

If you have a 5wt, go for the 7wt. I think 7 is enough for all but record sized SH and it's a great SRC beach rod.
    If you have a 6wt, go for the 8wt. It's the classic SH size and not so big you'll wear your arm out. Plus, Jim is right, it doubles as a great tropic rod. And thats why you want a 4 piece. Plus the fact that you can carry it streamside "folded" in half.
    Am taking the 8 to the tropics next week! (Gloating here.)