WTB Wtb: 7-piece Or 8-piece Pack Rod (light Trout Sizes)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by windknot51, Apr 3, 2012.

1. windknot51

windknot51 Member

I'm looking for an ultraportable light trout rod, the shorter (packed length) the better. Ideally I'd stumble across a 3-weight that packs down into 8 pieces and is 8' 6" long, but a 7-piece and/or a 4- or 5-weight would also work, and I'd consider anything from 8' to 9' in length.

Anyone have one of the older Cabela's Stowaway 7 rods in a 3-weight or 4-weight that they're not using? How about an L.L. Bean Travel 8-piece rod (don't recall if they made/make them smaller than a 5-weight) or a March Brown? Any other brands that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Redington Classic Trouts come in 6 piece rods in both 3 and 5 weight. Very good bang for the buck if you are willing to go with 6pc rods.
    Echo Trip rods come in 8pc, the 5wt is a nifty rod that is pretty fast action.
    LL Bean makes some 8pc rods if you can find them.

I have a Redington CT 380-6, Echo Trip 590-8 and LL Bean 890-8, each can be stuffed in my pack and carried anywhere.

3. windknot51

windknot51 Member

Thanks Ed, I had forgotten about the Echo rods. The CT series looks great, and a 16" or so packable length would probably still work for what I'm thinking.

4. t123man

t123man New Member

i don’t know how small you need to go but i have a nice Damon Azure Mt 9” 5WT 5pc that breaks down to 25.5” in it’s aluminum tube... i never used it myself but my son had it out for a backpacking weekend & he thought it was great... I have a couple of their other rods & really like them ... they were a small rod maker out of Potsdam NY ... let me know if your interested

5. windknot51

windknot51 Member

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it! Really looking for something in the 7-8 piece range though, although 6-piece rods aren't entirely out of the question. The only reason why I'm not considering 5-piece rods is because a relatively larger number of manufacturers sell them, so they're a lot easier to come by on the used gear market.

Cheers,
    Matt

6. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

The new stowaway rods are a big improvement over the older ones. They are only 180 with a reel. The only bummer is that the warranty is only for a year. I think a 6 piece is about as many pieces as you'd want in terms of a breakdown.

My all time favorite pack rod is the Sage SP 3wt 5 piece that comes in a 8'6. (Thanks Kent Lufkin for the recommendation) It has a smooth action that is perfect for delicate dry fly presentations. Shoot - it's probably my favorite rod I own. It comes with two tips for that Ohhhh f*#(K wilderness moment.

-Jesse

7. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member

The Echo in 8'6" 4wt 8pc @ $279 is a steal.

8. windknot51

windknot51 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up picking up a couple of March Brown Hidden Water rods, a 390-7 and a 490-7, so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

9. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member

Good choice. Hopefully you got the sale deal of $198 ea

10. t123man

t123man New Member

I hope not ...their only a 100.00 on eBay

11. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member

really?

12. windknot51

windknot51 Member

Yeah, looks like a couple sellers got a hold of some new old stock and are getting rid of them on the auction site right now. For that price I really couldn't resist, as even if I find that these rods don't suit my casting style I can still sell them and get the money I put into them back.

13. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member

Nothing for $100 buyitnow. ~$180 buyitnow and itemsbidding up.

14. t123man

t123man New Member

I guess if you can wait .. of the last 4 that sold ... 3 went for 100.00

15. t123man

t123man New Member

16. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member

thanks for the PM Matt. I now see your $100 wins. Very nice.... I'm lurking trying to snag one for myself just to have it handy!

17. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member