WTB Wtb: 7-piece Or 8-piece Pack Rod (light Trout Sizes)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by windknot51, Apr 3, 2012.

1. windknot51 Member

Berkeley, CA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm looking for an ultraportable light trout rod, the shorter (packed length) the better. Ideally I'd stumble across a 3-weight that packs down into 8 pieces and is 8' 6" long, but a 7-piece and/or a 4- or 5-weight would also work, and I'd consider anything from 8' to 9' in length.

Anyone have one of the older Cabela's Stowaway 7 rods in a 3-weight or 4-weight that they're not using? How about an L.L. Bean Travel 8-piece rod (don't recall if they made/make them smaller than a 5-weight) or a March Brown? Any other brands that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Matt
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Redington Classic Trouts come in 6 piece rods in both 3 and 5 weight. Very good bang for the buck if you are willing to go with 6pc rods.
    Echo Trip rods come in 8pc, the 5wt is a nifty rod that is pretty fast action.
    LL Bean makes some 8pc rods if you can find them.

I have a Redington CT 380-6, Echo Trip 590-8 and LL Bean 890-8, each can be stuffed in my pack and carried anywhere.
  3. windknot51 Member

Berkeley, CA
    Thanks Ed, I had forgotten about the Echo rods. The CT series looks great, and a 16" or so packable length would probably still work for what I'm thinking.
  4. t123man New Member

canada the far east
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    i don’t know how small you need to go but i have a nice Damon Azure Mt 9” 5WT 5pc that breaks down to 25.5” in it’s aluminum tube... i never used it myself but my son had it out for a backpacking weekend & he thought it was great... I have a couple of their other rods & really like them ... they were a small rod maker out of Potsdam NY ... let me know if your interested
  5. windknot51 Member

Berkeley, CA
    Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it! Really looking for something in the 7-8 piece range though, although 6-piece rods aren't entirely out of the question. The only reason why I'm not considering 5-piece rods is because a relatively larger number of manufacturers sell them, so they're a lot easier to come by on the used gear market.

Cheers,
    Matt
  6. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    The new stowaway rods are a big improvement over the older ones. They are only 180 with a reel. The only bummer is that the warranty is only for a year. I think a 6 piece is about as many pieces as you'd want in terms of a breakdown.

My all time favorite pack rod is the Sage SP 3wt 5 piece that comes in a 8'6. (Thanks Kent Lufkin for the recommendation) It has a smooth action that is perfect for delicate dry fly presentations. Shoot - it's probably my favorite rod I own. It comes with two tips for that Ohhhh f*#(K wilderness moment.

-Jesse
  7. boboo_3 Cool Member

Dallas, TX
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    The Echo in 8'6" 4wt 8pc @ $279 is a steal.
  8. windknot51 Member

Berkeley, CA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up picking up a couple of March Brown Hidden Water rods, a 390-7 and a 490-7, so I'm looking forward to trying them out.
  9. boboo_3 Cool Member

Dallas, TX
    Good choice. Hopefully you got the sale deal of $198 ea
  10. t123man New Member

canada the far east
    I hope not ...their only a 100.00 on eBay
  11. boboo_3 Cool Member

Dallas, TX
  12. windknot51 Member

Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, looks like a couple sellers got a hold of some new old stock and are getting rid of them on the auction site right now. For that price I really couldn't resist, as even if I find that these rods don't suit my casting style I can still sell them and get the money I put into them back.
  13. boboo_3 Cool Member

Dallas, TX
    Nothing for $100 buyitnow. ~$180 buyitnow and itemsbidding up.
  14. t123man New Member

canada the far east
    I guess if you can wait .. of the last 4 that sold ... 3 went for 100.00
  15. t123man New Member

canada the far east
  16. boboo_3 Cool Member

Dallas, TX
    thanks for the PM Matt. I now see your $100 wins. Very nice.... I'm lurking trying to snag one for myself just to have it handy!
  17. boboo_3 Cool Member

Dallas, TX