WTB: Beginner Setup?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Cole, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Cole

Cole Member

Does anyone have any one for sale and if not, can anyone suggest a good newbie setup?

I want something in the 5-6wt range, if that helps.

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    5-6 would be more of a switch set-up as opposed to a true spey. Check out the new Deer Creek models; great rods. I could sell you a cheap unused Ross BG 4 if you're interested.

3. Cole

Cole Member

Well basically here in the middle of the country all we have is trout streams which is what I am wanting to learn how to spey on, but eventually I want to come up and chase some big steelhead which will require a bigger wt of a spey rod. Is there a huge difference or is just the same technique?

4. billyspey

billyspey New Member

A DECHO in a 11'9" 4 wt is a good starting point , have tried the switch rods not my cup of tea . the decho is a great trout and smallmouth spey rod at a great price. i use a airflo 40plus 7 wt. cast nice. airflo is comming with a line especially for this rod. i am in wate. i have tried other lite line rods and this is best so far in fact i bought a 6 wt. also.

5. Cole

Cole Member

Awesome, thanks for the info!

6. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    What are you going to be fishing for?

The 4119 Decho is a great rod and I used it in AK last summer for pinks and dollies. I had to tinker with some lines to find something that could cast tips and larger flies, but recently discovered an Airflo Compact 360 that allows it to cast like a dream with tips and medium size flies.

7. NVswitch

NVswitch Member

You might also look at the Beulah rods. They have both switch rods and their 11'6" 6/7 spey rod would be a good choice, though a little heavy for strickly trout. The nice factor about them is their Elixer lines are awesome and match up perfectly with their rods. I believe this to be the hardest part of starting out is getting the correct line to rod match. Enjoy Mike

8. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

there is a 6wt deer creek switch for sale on the spey pages right now. might be worth checking out