WTB: Really HEAVY Spey Reel

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ed Call, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    What is the biggest reel that you have that you are not using or that you'll put a price tag on. Let me know here or via PM. I'm gonna need a heavy reel to balance out this new stick I'm trying. Thanks.

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Mumbles, go here: http://thespeycompany.blogspot.com/

I have three of Tim's reels and they are bullet proof. Have two 'spey sized' and one 'trouter.' None of this how little can we hand the guy ... and charge him/her more? You could pound nails with these things. Tim also sell 'other stuff' via the SpeyPages web board and he's getting very good reviews from one and all.

http://thespeycompany.blogspot.com/

Fred

3. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Media:
  4. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Ed, I've got a Sage 5700 that is beautiful. Really to big for any of my rods. If interested let me know, I can send some pictures. I know your pretty internet search savy so I won't bore you with details.

James

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
  6. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Mumbles, you can wrap some lead core backing under your regular backing to add weight.

7. fishin jimmy

fishin jimmy New Member

You could contact "Just Reels" - I saw on that website Jim just sold a 16oz Hayden & he had a couple lighter ones at 12 oz, or so. Might be some unadvertised specials as well.

8. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Spey Co. reels. I have talk to Tim and I have the trout and saving for the spey. If you call and talk with him, he can change the weight of a reel to balance the rod you are going to use. Give him a call.

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Define "heavy".
    I can make you a sweet deal on a new Saracione 4.25. You deserve one.

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    You should have kept that Brakewater you sold me . . .

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Denny, my first ever WFF friend, you are probably more right now than ever. Everyone knows, Mumbles is a fool.

Define heavy? Suggestions on this rod are from 17-18.5 oz. I shoveled gravel all weekend as my first effort to build enough muscle mass from my cheeseburger halo to heft this thing.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Mumbles,

If rod balance is the issue, you can reach the balance point with less weight overall by placing it further from the fulcrum, which is where your forehand grips the rod. Instead of heavier reels, or worse - wrapping lead tape or lead core on the reel arbor (I say worse because that increases "revolving" weight), drill out the plug at the butt of your rod. Stuff some pencil lead in there in whatever amount is needed to achieve the desired balance. In the end, you will have perfect balance and a lower overall weight. You learned this long before Physics 101, or should have.

Sg

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Salmo_g, as a once talented road cyclist in a sunflower strewn part of the world I now that rotating weight sucks. Limiting that suck by moving weight central to the hub is key. Of course in the cycling application this does not have quite the ease of fulcrum adjustment that the fly rod presents. Please know full well that I'm considering not only heavier reels but also strategic placement of weights that would bring the balance point down, without doing any harm to the rod itself. It looks like the butt cap to the reel is designed to be removed. I'm awaiting some input from a couple of fellows that have similar reels to ask their wisdom on the removal of the butt matter. Right now worse is doing nothing and having a balance point way up the rod. We'll get that balance point down to a place that should make this whole project fun, and fun is good! Thanks. Ed

14. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Both a little lighter than your recommended, but a non ported Pate Marlin would be my choice. Abel 4.5, again nonported would come in still a little lighter, but if you ever have any bluewater aspirations, the Marlin or the Abel would be great choices. My Pate and my 4.5 are just tanks. And they are out of fashion so used prices are low.

Watching this place like a hawk would be a good idea http://www.just-reels.com/Forsale.htm

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I have a Ross Momentum 8 that I will let you try out. I don't want to sell it but you might compare it to others. I also have two CLA #7's that are pretty bulky. I could bare to sell one. You can try one of those too.

16. Ed Call

Media:
    Steve, I'll check their specs and get back to you. I have a few other folks offering me to try the same. Thank you greatly. I will not be bringing this rod to the summer pink festival...just so you know.

17. Ed Call

Media:
  18. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

A Walker Bramptom=The Scottie-looks very much like a Hardy Perfect and the design of mechanism is same-ball bearing race and weighs in at 16.3 oz when lined with 8/9 windcutter.If you are interested I can send pics-9/10 appearance and 9.5/10 mechanical with 95% plus of lead finish remains-no wobbles etc.
    Keith

19. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

Please excuse me -the reel THE SCOTTIE is made by JS Sharpes--I have the Walker Brampton reel on ebay-it is THE LENNOX-If you wish to look it up on ebay it looks almost identical to the Scottie-My apologies-it to is 4 in RHW and has a bearing race and clicker mechanism for drag-Keith

20. guybg

guybg New Member

LOL!...that oughtt'a do it! (is it a spinner?) If you like the classics, some used NASCAR stuff might work....:):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.