WTB: SAGE by Hardy Reels

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by musashi, Jan 8, 2007.

1. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

Media:
    You might try posting a WTB in the Classifieds....

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Just for the record the best click & pawl reels are , steelhead = hardy mark IV Bougle and for trout =J.W.Young Jubilee reels!! of course this is just my unbiased opinion.

3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I know these are new on the market so I'll cut ya'll some slack, but hands down best ever!

[​IMG]

I hear they are making a clicker where you can insert a set of caps and it sounds like gunfire when you hook up....

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I don't think I'll buy anything from jesse james,If he is stupid enough to cheat on sandra bullock i'm not to sure about how he will back his warranty?

5. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

it's all good as long as it's fishing right?

yikes...

6. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Guess bigtj has never seen one of the reels Inland builds himself. They are much better than any I have seen from Sage, and they make beautiful music. They only place I would not use one is in Alaska, they would draw bears from a long distance.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    This 4 1/2 year old thread must be a beauty since it won't die.

Sg

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    These reels look cool but aren't inexpensive . . . if I were to spend this type of coin on a reel, part of my top selection criteria would be a company that it's in for the long haul and may be around in the next few years, not doing it as a hobby . . .

9. apistomaster

apistomaster Member

I stumbled across this while searching on Google for info about the original Sage 506.
    I have one and five spare spools. I bought my reel from the old Kaufmanns shop in Bellevue so long ago that my reel serial number is 0088. I was an early adopter. It is a Hardy and Hardy made some classics.
    Some of my spare spools were redesigned slightly from the original. It is a fine reel for this design which is basically well over 75 years old so it could not possibly be the best reel in it's size since the fly reel of today has been fundamentally redesigned with better brakes, bearings and radial arbor or whatever the design is called which pushed the line further out from the axis around the radius.
    But it is a sweet reel. If I was starting over I would buy a modern design but I am almost as old as this Hardy design and it will continue to serve me well for the rest of my life.
    It still sings the familiar hardy song when a nice fish is making a run letting everyone know you have a "Fish On!"
    I bought my ex-wife a Hardy Marquis reel and spare spools and it wasn't nearly as nice to my way of thinking as my Sage 506. Not that it wasn't also a good reel back then, too.
    It seems like after the movie, "A River Runs Through It" came out it changed the fly fishing ethos forever and not necessarily in the best of ways. Fly fishing boomed, river crowding in the West became a plague and courtesy took a real nose dive. Of course, much of the rude tone of on line discussions is due to the anonymity of hiding behind screens.
    My Sage Rods and reel goes well
    with my Insul-dry Deluxe Float Tube. It identifies me as one of the old ones.