WTT?: Fenwick Glass FF857

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Robert Engleheart, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Have a 8'-6" long 7 weight Fenwick glass rod (FF857, ser. # M24360) that is one of my first fly rods. Bought in 1968? Haven't used it since leaving Alaska in 1986. Hate to part with it, but just can't see a 7 WT in my arsenal. Would be interested in trading for a similar 3, 4 or 6 weight, preferably in glass. Any one out there interested? Pic's available if you're serious, it's by no means mint, cork is well worn, could use a recoat as the finish has lots of dirt and surface scratches and wraps look a bit, well, 40 years old. But close inspection reveals nothing inherently wrong, reel seat threads all ok, guides are not grooved or out of shape, ferrule appears good. This has a sweet action and lots of karma ('bows, silvers, sockeye, char).

The following is from a forum on www.fibreglassflyrodders.com

"Earliest Fenwicks had three digit model numbers beginning with the #3, i.e., model 315 or 330. These rods had Sizematic ferrules and were made until about 1962/1963.

The next generation of Fenwicks had two digit model numbers with an FF in front of them, i.e., FF70 or FF84. The earliest had "A" serial numbers and translucent blanks. These rods had the glass tip over butt ferrules that made Fenwick famous. They were produced until 1972/1973. Perhaps a few FF60 rods left the factory with cork reelseats, but otherwise these rods had solid metal reelseats. A cork reelseat on a two digit Fenwick is probably a rebuild.

The third generation of Fenwick glass fly rods had three digit model numbers with an FF in front of them, i.e., FF756 or FF805. The earliest had "K" serial numbers. They were made until the late 80s. In 1975 some third generation Fenwicks had cork insert reelseats or slip rings over a cork body. The experiment only lasted a year or so. The last of the third generation Fenwicks were produced in the late 80s.

Only the model FF9012 was made with S-glass. All other Fenwick fly rods were E-glass. Fenwick S-glass rods were labeled Fenglass. An "S" in a Fenwick model number usually refers to a spinning rod. "

2. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

how much are you willing to sell for? i have a six weight st croix triumph almost brand new i could trade along with some cash??

3. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Zack,
    I'd really rather trade for what I specified; fibreglass 3, 4 or 6 weight. I'm pretty well set up on 6 weight graphite rods. I really don't have any idea as to value, I do know that Fenwick FF series rods are/have developed a following of sort, just don't know if this particular model fits someone's desire.
    Thanks, tho.............

4. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

ok just thought id ask thats a sweet rod i love it!

5. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

It is a nice one. If I decide to sell outright, I'll let you know, Zack.

6. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

ok thanks a ton!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.