Wulff Ambush?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I have a 7 weight Ambush I use on a SH rod that I like. So much that I picked up a Meiser 11'-7" 5/6/7 to jump into the 2H game. I got one of the SGS Scandi lines with the rod and am wondering as to what line would suit me best for a 2nd. I don't see myself needing to huck any "chickens" in the near future and the Scandi will probably cover 80-90% of my needs. However, I was thinking an Ambush line in 400-450 grains might be a good alternative to a Scagit head for the times I need to get down or throw something with lead-eyes or weight/bulk. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  2. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Does that scandi you nabbed have a built in running line? If it does I would say nab the ambush. If you have a stand alone running line, then I would probably grab a skagit head so you can just throw it on the runner when needed.
  3. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Blake, the Scandi has the integrated MendMaster running line. I chose it for it's mending capabilities based on Bob's recommendation. The 2nd line will be a head and the Ambush is available that way. With that set-up, I can have the versatility of adding other heads in the future.
  4. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    I didn't realize that you could buy the heads. always had the full integrated ambush lines. Time to get out the wallet!
  5. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Poppy's carries them. They also make a Wulff running line that's gotten good reviews.
  6. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Ambush has separate heads for 8 & 9 wts. (according to Gary Sandstrum).