WWU offers Fly fishing class this summer

Discussion in 'Events' started by bwtucker83, May 4, 2005.

1. bwtucker83

bwtucker83 Member

Media:
    Just wanted to let any students up at western that the enviornment science department is offering a fly fishing class summer quarter and its a 300 level elective. I'm signed up! The class includes the basics of fly fishing, fly tying, rod building, and aquatic insects. Includes a overnight trip into B.C. on the upper skagit. If you are worried about the difficulty... Don't. The final paper is research paper on a place you would want to fish. It is pretty much planning your dream fishing trip.... thats not school work for me.... thats recreation! Anyway, just a heads up.

Brad

2. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    yeah... last year they taught that and David James Duncan and some other well known fly-fishers came and lectured. They provide you with sage rods and I have heard it is alot of fun.. too bad I was too busy last summer and will be this summer to actually take the class.

3. Lostinwater

Lostinwater New Member

Media:
    It sounds cool, plus Leo's a great guy. The skagit and sage rods dont hurt either. I'll pass again this year though. Hey goose whats up? I'll see you tommorow on spring creek and maybe we'll get skunked again. Oh well talking about fishing is always fun. Your avatar should be of your 30 inch squaw, not that little cutt. ;)

off to finish my 40, not a real one though (lucky lager), wheres that 211? :beer2:

Andrew

4. South Sound

South Sound Member

DAMN I wish they had that back when I was there as an undergrad. I still do love Bham though. I wonder if I could use it for my distance WWU Masters program. Probably not. You guys are too damn lucky.

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Central had one during spring quarter when I was there, but it filled up so fast I wasn't able to make it off the waiting list.

Summer quarter should be a little easier to get in - Sounds like a great class!

6. JWKitsap

JWKitsap Member

I knew there was a reason I was thinking about heading back to Western to get a Masters degree.....Why the *&#@ didnt they have that when I was getting my undergrad???? Oh well...the sailing class was fun enough (and only started swinging the fly rod 8 months ago :D)

JW

7. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

While serving as a guest fly tying instructor at WWU's course last summer, I had a chance to observe the enthusiasm and eagerness to learn of those students. Most of them are young adults, who, if their initial interest is properly launched and nurtured, will remain active fly anglers for much of the 21st century. And what else can hope to preserve the environmental and societal basis of fly fishing?

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Is this the program that Dana Bottcher of Swiftwater rafts has been teaching for a zillion years?

9. steve

steve New Member

Man, and I had to go and graduate in 2002. Does WWU offer a Masters in fly fishing? When I was there they had a fly fishing club, but no class as far as I know.

10. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    Kitsap:

Which MA program are you thinking about? I'm in the M.A. English Program, creative writing track.

11. JWKitsap

JWKitsap Member

Actually my extended time away from school is showing.....I was thinking about the MS program there through Huxley, the Biology dept or a combination of the two. I have a BS in Environmental Science with an emphasis in marine ecology along with with two minors (Bio, Chem) and now I peddle beer and wine for a living. Needless to say I need a big change or at least something more in line with my schooling.

12. ewhitaker75

ewhitaker75 Member

Media:
    You better go back...I wanna fish the Skagit some of the other rivers up there...we can trade for some time on the Yak....and you drinking up my beer :beer2: ;)