Wyoming Road Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by MDK, Oct 1, 2013.

1. MDK

MDK Active Member

Did a road trip to Wyoming this September. Spent a week in the Alpine/Afton area south of the Tetons and a couple days in the Tetons and Yellowstone. Fished the Salt, Greys, LaBarge, Hoback and Granite Creek near Alpine,the Snake in Tetons, Firehole and Madison in Yellowstone. Caught 3 species of cutthroat, rainbow, brown, brook, and whitefish. Nothing big, largest fish was a 18" whitefish, most trout were 8-16".
    Best fishing was in Greys River, especially the upper 25 miles (MP25-50). Lower section was heavily fished. I was surprised at how many people were fishing in the area. There were also lots of elk hunters(bow).

LaBarge was a bit of a disappointment. This stream has got a lot of press lately due to a rehabilitation project for Colorado cutthroat. The upper stream was poisoned and then restocked with Colorado cutthroat and a dam was installed to prevent upstream migration of other species. This may be a good spot earlier in the season but by September there was almost no water and the only fish were holed up in the beaver ponds.
    Granite Creek, a tributary to the Hoback, was a beautiful area and a fun stream to explore.
    The Salt is right next to town and convenient. It gets heavily floated during warm weather. Difficult to wade but caught a few nice cutthroat there.

Fished the Snake in Teton Nat. Park. This is a huge river and to fish from shore you have to find the smaller branches. Caught a few nice cutthroat. Incredible number of people floating and fishing here. A boat goes by about every 2 minutes.
    In Yellowstone, I fished the Firehole and Madison. The Madison was the only place I didn't catch anything. I only fished about 2 hours. It was hard to find a spot not being fished and the fish were too sophisticated for me. I caught a lot of fish(rainbow and brown) in the Firehole but were all small (8-12").

Stayed at 3 Forest Service cabins near Alpine: Deer Creek(Greys River), Hoback, and LaBarge. These are really good deals, especially, if have running water which Hoback and Labarge did. Don't quite understand why Forest Service would charge the same for a cabin without water as one with. LaBarge was in nicest location.
    Good trip.
    IMG_1528_1.JPG IMG_1529_1.JPG IMG_1531_1.JPG IMG_1541_1.JPG IMG_1553_1.JPG IMG_1554_1.JPG IMG_1559_1.JPG IMG_1561_1.JPG IMG_1563_1.JPG IMG_1566_1.JPG IMG_1569_1.JPG IMG_1577_1.JPG

Thomas Williams, Porter, dfl and 4 others like this.
  2. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

MDK, nice pics , thanks for sharing, I have not been back o Tetons and Yellowstone for many years, spent some time fishing the Gros venture And some fishing the Madison, beautiful country I would like to go back in the fall.
    Kelly Michelsen

JasonG likes this.
  3. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

Great pics! Thanks for sharing

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    nice pics. love those cabins!
    D

5. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Looks like a great time, thanks for sharing.

6. noraamii

noraamii New Member

Great photos. Wyoming is one of my favorite places.

Thanks again for sharing

7. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    Gotta love Yellowstone and the Tetons, beautiful place with even prettier fish.

8. waterworker

waterworker Member

Media:
    Thanks.Nice stuff.Sometimes I wonder if I'm living in the wrong place.