X-Caddis question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Canedawg, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Canedawg Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am getting ready to start filling my boxes. When tying the X-Caddis do you match the Z-lon to the color of the body, or does it matter? Also, instead of Z-lon, I was thinking of using Sparkle Yarn. Thoughts! Thanks for your answers in advance, Mark.
  2. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0

Unfortunately when you say "sparkle yarn" you aren't saying much in the fly fishing industry. As long as 10% of the fibers are "trilobal" or three sided like antron it counts. Dazzelaire is very fine and gives you more of floppy shuck look like on a comparadun emerger, but something like aunt lydia's rug yarn is much stiffer and Z-lon-like but still not as stiff as Z-lon. So, it really depends on what look you are after. For stillwaters sparkle yarn is fine. On moving water, if you want to maintain the profile on the fly, I'd go with either Z-lon if you have it, or aunt lydia's... You should definitely add a skein of white aunt lydia's to your arsenal. That and "country peach" which may be discontinued are killer...
  3. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    there is a material called sparkle yearn. i tried to match my z-lon/sparkle yarn with the body as close as possable. does it really make a difference? don't know.
  4. Canedawg Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was thinking of using Antron

for the trailing shuck. That is the only Sparkle Yarn I have ever used. I am going to use Super Fine dubbing for the body.
  5. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    antron works as well
  6. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    It looks better to the tyer's eye, but I don't think it matters as much to the fish. I've read that caddis don't have a trailing shuck so you aren't imitating something anyway. I have a medium, darkish gray z-lon that i like to use for my x-caddis.
  7. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    I happened to watch "bugs of the underworld" while running on the elliptical this morning and the emerging caddis did split and leave a shuck on the surface. I'm a believer in shucks as I feel they indicate vulnerability.

As for color, I doubt it matters. It's just dimpling the water and trapping some air bubbles.
  8. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Different species of caddis definitely emerge in different ways. I will say I've seen so many October Caddis cripples, that I sometimes wonder if any of them emerge cleanly!
  9. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    darlon works too, its pretty similar to z-lon