X-caddis

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Buick, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Mark Buick DryFly1

sammamish, washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So I am new to the forum but for those of you who may not have discovered this little idea I will share it.

I am not a great tyer but I do tie a bunch of X-caddis each year as I fish them as a second fly almost every time I fish. One little trick that I saw at some point was to tie the body with bright red thread, and then dub the tan lightly over it. When it gets wet it almost has a translucent look to it with some of the red showing through. As an emerger it makes for a killer look in the water.

Apologize if this was too simple for the forum.

Mark Buick
  2. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    thanks for the tip mark! ill definetly have to try that out. and you can post just about anything you want on this website! well atleast many people here do... :)

arthur
  3. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Nice contribution, Mark. Your observation is a good reminder that the colors of flies are very different at the vise compared to when they are in the water. That subtle effect that you mentioned may make the difference on very picky fish.

Steve
  4. fly punk lunatic trout bum

oly. wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Thanks for the tip. Cant wait to try it out. :thumb:
  5. Troutflynut New Member

Tacoma, WA
    Wonderful tip! AND the X-Caddis is a great greattttttt emerger pattern! I have a box full of them in different colors :eek:)
  6. Whit 19D

Pullman, WA
    Nice tip! I am just starting to seriously tie flies and have yet to tackle the X-Caddis. I will have to try this out with a bit of orange thread to see if I can get some translucence for an october caddis.