Xcalak Mexico

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by powderglut, Jun 13, 2012.

1. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Meant to post a report sooner.
    Wife and I flew down to Cancun last week of April. We stayed 1 nt in Tulum to supply up, before we drove down to tiny Xcalak. (Ish Kuh Lack) Located 5-6 hrs south of Cancun, just 7 miles from the Belizean border. This coast line below Ascencion and Espirito Santo Bays is considered the "Costa Maya" and basically consists of 2 towns. Mahahual (A cruise ship destination) and Xcalak. A lot of miles of coast line protected inside, by the great Mayan reef.
    We stayed at a 4 plex unit called Casa Caroline for 7 nts. Perfect size for a couple, with small kitchen. They have bikes to use and kayaks. The beach is right out the back door and a dock for convenient pickups for fishing and snorkeling trips.
    We managed to get in 3 guided snorkel trips by boat to various snorkel sites inside the barrier reef. And even a couple outside of it. I got to fly fish 2 different days in Chetumal Bay with Capn Jose Castro and his son Andres. Miles and miles of sandy bonefish flats. Nice and wadeable. You should have shots at fish all day long.
    Food was outstanding. We ate ceviche and and fresh fish (conch,grouper, snapper,Lionfish,etc) everyday.
    We spent our last 2 nts on the beach in Tulum. Met up with some of our Colorado friends for a couple days of beach partying. Woo baby!! IMG_2562.JPG IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2632.JPG IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2633.JPG IMG_2637.JPG IMG_2635.JPG IMG_2571.JPG IMG_2639.JPG IMG_2546.JPG IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2574.JPG

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Nice report. My wife and I went to Belize (Ambergris and Caye Caulker) the 3rd week of April, fishing 3 days but with bad wind conditions. I've been twice to Ascension but not to the area you visited. Looks like a good spot. Are their permit and tarpon possibilities at Xcalak as well? We might consider that next March. Is the snorkeling inside the reef pretty impressive?

Sg

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

4. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Snorkeling is excellent! You can kayak out to some of the sites by the hotels. Getting one of the local guides is recommended, you will see more variety and different sites.
    Of course, the day I saw 4 happy daisy chaining permit within easy casting range, we were getting ready to kayak out to go snorkel. I should've just left a rod rigged with a crab out at the end of the dock. Permit are an opportunity any day.
    On tarpon, unless they are around in the lagoons, the guides will save the tarpon fishing, especially if they are trying to get you a grandslam. There are certain times of year when tarpon and snook are targeted. Not so much in the spring.

5. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Now thats a place where getting skunked just doesnt sting all that bad now does it. Nice fish and even better views.