Yak Report: Ringer to Reds 3/19

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Davbaker, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Davbaker Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Floated the Watermasters from Ringer to Reds - will wear that extra pair of wool socks next time.Flows definitely coming back down. Visibility improving but not great. Took about 6 hours - river moving quick. Fishing slow: 3 fish to hand between the two of us, a few more LDRs. However the quality of the fish and the fights made it so worth the trip from Seattle - though it is always worth the drive. Two of the fish were caught on San Juan worms. My buddy caught his first and last monster 50 yards from the take out on a Skwala dry. Funny how your attitude changes in a heartbeat. He had pretty much given up and was going through the motions, sick of snagging and losing nymphs - then boom!... Good reminder to fish with confidence.

Good times - saw a few adult Skwalas, BS'd with the guys at Reds: man their new store and restaurant (rumored to open at the end of the month) is damn nice. Drove home in blizzard conditions from Ellensberg through the pass.

I'm making it a point to contribute more to this forum as I have gained so much from you guys

Dave
    DSCN0360.JPG DSCN0362.JPG DSCN0364.JPG DSCN0365.JPG
  2. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +831 / 0
    That's the spirit, Dave! Nice fish and report.
  3. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    What do you think of your watermasters??
  4. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +413 / 0
    That looks like a big fish in the last photo. Great report.
  5. Davbaker Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Billy - love the Watermaster. I can't compare it to other boats like the Scadden but it has been great for me. On the Yak I almost exclusively use the fins: achieving great drifts is a breeze. When I used it in Montana, I found it easy to maneuver in Skinnier water , and it is great to be able to simply stand up when you want to focus on certain runs. Much better than my old pontoon. Love it

Dave
    Derek Young likes this.
  6. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +861 / 0
    Very nice post, Dave; great fish, and good photos all round. I guess I need to take my WM out to Fish Lake and learn to use the fins with the thing. I've always preferred the oars, but you really can't fish and row at the same time. it is nice to be able to just stand up when you want,though!
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    Great report and some very nice pictures of some very nice fish.
    But dang it looks cold. :)

But not too cold to get my juices flowing from the long winter freeze up.
  8. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Alex, I think you will be very happy with the benefits if you do!

Oh! And you can still stand up at times when you want. It's just the threshold for doing so will need to be a little tamer than with just wading boots. Don't ask me how I would know that.;)