Yakima Access?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bigsteel, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Bigsteel Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    Hey guys,I was curious how the access on the yakima is from ellensburg on up,I am thinkin about exploring around cle elum and up higher.I have fished the canyon but would like to try higher up,,thanks guys
  2. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    I'm eyeballing Firemans Park in Cle Elum for this weekend. Looks pretty wadable. I was wondering though if there is access from the St Park at Easton???
  3. NukeLDO Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Bigsteel, I'll be up there Wed and also exploring the area for the first time. Interested in tag teaming it?
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +628 / 0
    There are lots of public access points. A good place to start is at the Hansen ponds. The access is right across the freeway from Cle Elum. The dirt road runs along the river for about 1/2 mile, and you can wade from there. If you can't find it the fly shop in town will give you directions. The state launch east of town also has good access. There are plenty others. Finding them is part of the fun.
  5. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +260 / 0
    There used to be access to a great, long stretch from the confluence with the Cle Elum downstream a good ways. But access to this area is now gated and posted. The John Wayne Trail likely offers access on the opposite bank, but I've not explored it yet.
  6. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    The farther up you travel, the colder the days and nights. The water stays colder too as the sun does not make it to the water nearly as much. If you cross over the bridge at Firemans and wade the north bank, you can get farther downstream and at more water.

There is plenty of water there this time of the year to wade. I checked today and the water was 43.
  7. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA

Thanks for the info teedub - Can we park in the parking lot by the ball fields?
  8. Bigsteel Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    NukeLDo,I wont be up there for a few weeks yet but we should get together for sure,send me a message....thanks guys for the info.sounds like theres plenty of options!!!!!!!!!
  9. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Yep! Never heard of any parking issues and lots of traffic goes by to keep break-ins down.
  10. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Hey teedub - got any recommendations for a good burger in Cle Elum after a day on the water???
  11. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    McKean's Drive in the east end of town made on French Bread. The Caboose makes a good burger (sometimes) and they have been going through changes so I have not been there in a while. McKeans is worth the mile drive..
  12. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +628 / 0
    I'd skip the burger and head to Village Pizza in Roslyn.
    Porter likes this.