Yakima Canyon camping questions

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Steve Vaughn, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Hoping to park my travel trailer at Big Pine (Yakima Canyon) for a couple days fishing this month and have some questions of those in the know. To avoid hauling 240 lbs of water from Tri-Cities to Yakima are there any public places I can fill my fresh water tank in or around Yakima? Also, am I safe in assuming that there should be no problem finding an open trailer site if I arrive by mid-Friday morning any given weekend in October; most likely the 11th. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Steve

2. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Steve, as of yesterday, the BLM campsites have been closed. It's ridiculous - these are non-staffed and free of charge between Sept. 15th and May 15th, no reason to close them other than spiteful politics.

3. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Wow, that is ridiculous. I never would have expected that. Thanks for the heads up Derek.

4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

That is a real drag...
    Thank you for the heads up, was counting on going there myself.
    Time for plan B.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

We noticed the same thing on the Madison upstream of Ennis. Funny thing though. all the campgrounds were closed, but not gated. Folks were camped there with RV's and trailers (too cold to tent it!). All the pit toilets had a sign on them; "closed due to fed. shutdown", but all were open and stocked with toilet paper. Seems the folks who worked to maintain them said a collective "fuck off" to the feds. Good for them!