Yakima Canyon Fly Fishing Rendezvous 4/10!!!

Discussion in 'Events' started by Steve J., Mar 14, 2010.

1. Steve J.

Steve J. Red's Fly Shop

Home Page:
    Red's Fly Shop invites you to the first annual Red's Rendezvous on April 10 at Canyon River Ranch lodge. A full schedule of riverside casting and fishing classes, along with a mix of destination fishing presentations which were specially selected for WA anglers, will be offered throughout the day. A lineup of demo gear from Sage, TFO, Clackacraft, and many others will be available for guests to experience at their leisure. Door prizes will be drawn, and a casting competition will be run all day long - with the top qualifiers from the day earning a spot in the finals that evening. The top 2 finishers in the casting competition will win rods, and third place will receive a reel. The festivities will be capped off with a BBQ, soft drinks and beer, and 2 live bands on the patio at the Canyon River Ranch lodge. Attendance is FREE, and participants are free to come and go as they please throughout the day. Anyone coming over who would like to make a weekend of it may choose to fish the Yakima the next day; or join Dick Sagara for a casting class; OR join Red's and Clackacraft for a 4 hour rowing lesson; OR sign up for our Ea WA lake clinic - which will take place on a lake in the Basin! Participation in the event is FREE. $10 will cover dinner, drinks, and live music by 2 bands including Ellenburg's own, Star Anna. We look forward to seeing you in the canyon, and bring your families!

To view the planned itinerary and additional details, visit: http://www.redsflyshop.com/rendezvous.html

Steve Joyce
    Red's Fly Shop
    509-933-2300

2. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Sounds like fun Steve. See you there.

Chris

3. Great... look forward to this.

4. EasyE

EasyE Member

Brandy and I are hoping to make it Steve. Sounds like a good time!

5. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    So during my free four hour rowing lesson, will you row while I cast? :)

This does sound like a good time. Hope to see you there.

6. Steve J.

Steve J. Red's Fly Shop

Home Page:
    Jim,
    The rowing lesson on Sunday actually costs $59.00. The classes and presentations on Saturday are FREE. I'm sure there will be opportunity to throw the fly during the rowing clinic on Sunday!
    Steve

7. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Media:
    Lookin to make it down for this! Do you guys know if you need to sign up before the rowing class?

8. Steve J.

Steve J. Red's Fly Shop

Home Page:
    We are taking reservations for the rowing clinic on Sunday, and I believe there are 3 or 4 more spots open. The rowing clinic meets at 10:00 am. You can call the shop to reserve your space. Most participants will have their own boat; however, you will be able to jump in with an instructor if you do not have a boat. There is also an Ea WA Lake clinic on Sunday April 11th. It meets at the shop at 8:00 am, and then travels to a destination lake with Gary Thompson. He's got several R&D days scheduled to pick the "right spot".

To reserve a spot, call Red's Fly Shop at 509-933-2300.

Steve

9. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Media:
    Steve you got a suggestion on a place to set up camp for the weekend?

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Great question. If possible to mention a few places there or near there where a tent trailer could be set up I might see if I can bring the whole fam damily.

11. docstash

docstash Member

Big Pines has lots of camping. Steve will know more I am sure.
    Craig

12. Steve J.

Steve J. Red's Fly Shop

Home Page:
    Umtanum (1.5 miles north), Lmuma Creek (3 miles south), Big Pines (6 miles south - formerly The Slab), and Roza (8 miles south) are all publicly operated BLM campgrounds. They do not have power hookups, but do have vault toilets, garbage dumpsters, firepits, and picnic tables. The BLM keeps a ranger on duty on a daily bais, and do a great job managing their campsites. My favorite of these is Big Pines, as it is certainly the largest and strategically located at a very nice boat takeout site. They are available on a first come, first served basis. There will also be a special nightly rate at the lodge on any available rooms, too. Call the front desk for details and availability 509-933-2100.

The weather in the canyon was beautiful this weekend, and the fishing has been steady.

Steve

13. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    SUX!! it's the daughter's birthday, and we'll be driving down to Bend OR. The only saving grace is that I'm taking her a float tube!! You guys enjoy!

14. Ed Call

Media:
    Steve and Craig, thanks for all the information on the camp sites. I've not been to the canyon yet and look forward to a trip soon. Based on the fact that this is the canyon and canyons seem to get less light than the farmlands, any recommendation on the area that might get the most sunlight during the day? Discussed the event with the misses. If the weather is promising we might be making the trek. If it is not so warm and wonderful I might have a kitchen pass to come solo. Looking forward to my first time in the area. Thanks.

15. Steve J.

Steve J. Red's Fly Shop

Home Page:
    Big Pines and Lmuma Creek will have the best sunlight in the AM and last the longest in the evening. There is a higher rock wall across from Umtanum that keeps things under an early shade - which is a good thing for fishing big dries in the summer time. To give you a brief rundown of the area - the lower canyon spans 19 miles from Ringer Loop to Roza Dam. The entire 19 mile section is class 1 floating water, and there are approximately 8 boat launch/ takeout points over that 19 miles of river - which allows you to make as long or short of a float day as your schedule demands. You can figure about 1 mph of float speed for every 1000 cfs of flow if you just put your boat in the water and drift. Therefore at the current level, it would take you 3-4 hours of pure float time to make a 6 mile drift, which would allow you 3-4 hours of time spent wading or fishing from anchor to make a full day of it. There are lots of exposed gravel bars and accessible inside corners with current flow levels. In the summertime, the flows run at 4000 cfs (4 mph) - which allow us to see the entire canyon on many fishing days. We are still fishing Skwala dries in the PM's and BWO's have been good on the few calm days we've seen over the past week. We look forward to seeing everyone on the 10th.

Steve

16. Ed Call

Media:
    Unexpectedly on call for the weekend. I won't make it but here is a bump to the top for an event I wish I could attend. Looking foward to a report and photos. Enjoy.

17. EasyE

EasyE Member

I feel your pain Mumbles. I won't be able to make it either. To all who are able to make it ... have a great time!

18. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    See you guys there!

19. Steve J.

Steve J. Red's Fly Shop

Home Page:
    Thank you to everyone who attended the Rendezvous, and to our staff and the reps for supporting it! The format seemed to mesh well, the food was great, music was excellent, and it's really nice to be able to spend time with clients in a relaxed setting. We've already begun planning the future events, and the key points will not change: EDUCATIONAL, FUN, and AFFORDABLE. We'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again.
    Steve Joyce
    Red's Fly Shop
    509-933-2300