Yakima Fishing Report from Saturday

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Allen, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Jim Allen "Fish-On" Custom Fly Rods

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I hit the Yakima on Saturday 3/30 expecting the awesome top water action that Friday 3/29 presented. So I started my day with a stop at Troutwater and talked with Ted & Johnney. They hooked me up with some flies (These guys are awesome) and I was on my way.

My day started off very poorley as I locked my keys in my truck with my truck running sitting in the Rhinehart boat launch. I was very gratefull for the two gentlemen who let me use their phone to call my wife (She was not impressed) I dont know who you were but thankyou. Before long my wife arrived and my truck was unlocked (Thankyou Honey), my boat was launced and I was off. I was armed with a top water fly and watching for risers to start feeding. I casted to the bankes, riffles and structure until noon with no avail. The top water action was not going to happen today. At this point I decided to make the switch to a topper and a dropper and before long "bam" Fish-on. I landed a couple average Yakima fish but nothing impressive 14-16 inch range. They were taking the dropper. After about an hour of spot hopping I came to a spot with some overhanging trees and visable rocks below the serface. I made my presentation just above the rocks and dead drifted through the spot. I noted my top water fly stop, change direction and them sink, I set the hook and the fight was on. By the battle and repeated runs I was almost 100% postive that this was a Yakima Steelhead. I was very easy on the pressure due to my 5x tippet. As I got the fish in closer where I could get a good look, I could tell it was not a Steelhead but a very healthy Rainbow. After what seemed for ever I was able to net the fish. The fish had taken the dropper. I held the fish up to my fly rod and noted the length. When I got home that evening I measured the fish at 26 inches. This was the biggest fish I have ever caught on the Yakima. What stated off as a bad day turned out to be an awesome day.

YakBow.JPG
  2. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 1
    Nice O. Mykiss. To bad the river's clouded up since then. I might give it a shot anyway.
  3. TDub Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Holy moly.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,602 / 2
    If it wasn't April 1st, I'd send my congrats.
    Itchy Dog and Blake Harmon like this.
  5. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
  6. The Duke Been around

Des Moines, WA
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Wow! That's a beautiful rainbow. And a behemoth for the Yakima. Nice job!
  7. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    What a nice save on your day, bet that was nice.
  8. Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Maple Valley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Wow, nice fish for the Yak. Good job man.
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    still going
    Derek Young likes this.