Yakima Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Whitey, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Bro's for life! Bro.

2. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, when are you taking me fishing?

flybill likes this.
  3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Nice fish Rick! I'd be smiling too.

Whitey, and other guides - Is this going to be a year with bigger than average fish? Lots of variables from the last few years lead me to believe it might be.

4. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Kaari,

I've told you numerous times, ya gotta book a trip. My rates are pretty reasonable.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Rick, outstanding cutty!

6. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:

The spring is always a great time to catch larger trout, especially in the upper river as fish move up and into the tribs to spawn. If fish are moving, they gotta eat. Smaller fish, too young to spawn, can stay hunkered down and wait till the water warms and more food becomes available.

The upper river has a long history of serial poachers, I'm not talking kids who don't know any better, I'm talking people that live the the upper county that believe their above the law or are grandfathered in. These f$3kers kill (I believe) 100's of large spawning age bows every year.

The loss of those fish keep us at 100's of fish per mile, instead of 1000's. over time it adds up.

7. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Nice Cutt !!!

8. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

My buddy and I fished with Whitey last March. We had a blast. Great guy, great food, great advice. Great all round. Keep it up Ryan.:)

9. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Thank you everyone. You all have inspired me so much. I've dedicated my life to fly fishing and it has given me so much in return. At this point, my mission is to give back as much as I can.

I followed my dream and worked hard to make it happen. YOU should do the same! Whatever that is, don't ever give up.

2 days off is over, bout to go on bender(14 days in a row) :)

*drops mic*

10. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:

That's all you need to say right there...;)

11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Oh-are you supposed to tip a guide?;)

12. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Where? Send me a link or PM me - Thanks

13. lastcall

lastcall Member

Ryan,
    You must be sitting in the Cle Elum shop just waiting for customers to show. Nothing better to do?

I have to add my 2 cents, you were the best guide that my wife and I have been around. You earned the tip that everyone should be giving you. We will look forward to booking you for the next trip.

Ed Dahl

14. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

So Ed-that must mean my "guiding" on the Skagit this winter wasn't so hot?;) At least I had a heater to warm you up when you got wet! Rick

15. Juneriver

Juneriver New Member

The river is apparently getting some sacrifices to the fish gods this week. I floated this stretch on Friday and lost a Winston Biix just upstream around the freeway bridge. If anyone comes up with it, please fish the hell out of it. Or return it for karma and as much reward as I can come up with.

Also ran into the same portage. Wasn't too bad, but it's good to know ahead of time.

16. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I am relatively new, so feel free to tell me about wet flies that work or something about fishing streamers. No need to go too far in depth, just some basic 101 info. thanks.

17. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm fishing that section today and will keep an eye out for it.

18. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    I'm back! River officially blown out from top to bottom :(

Last 3 days: worms and big stones. I know, crazy talk!

flybill likes this.
  19. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    When you say, "wet flies" do you mean nymphs or classic fly patterns/soft hackle type stuff?

Streamers: first off, let's not get all "Kelly Gallup" up in here. Google him for advanced type stuff.

The classic swing: first off, let's identify the right water: moving downstream on both banks. Reading water is a skill most anglers have the most trouble with, it takes years to really fully understand. Your goal in to swing the fly in front of said fish, so start at the head of run, hell, maybe even above that like in the riffles or tail out of the run upstream. That way your swing will cover the very tip top of the run your trying to fish. Remember, after you cast, it takes time for your fly to sink and get in the zone. The cast: across and maybe a tad downstream. One big upstream mend, to help slow the speed down and allow your fly to sink. Keep your tip low and following your fly as it swings across the current. Try to keep the line straight. A big belly in the line and you lose some control, if this happens, mend. However, sometimes a downstream presentation is better....dang it, now I'm going all Kelly Gallop...never mind that part. Start with a short cast, then one a bit longer, maybe a third a bit farther. Take two steps downstream. Repeat. Your goal is cover as much water as possible, so keep moving. The hang down: this is when your fly has finished the swing and is hanging down directly below you. Keep it there for a few seconds, then strip your line back in. Start stripping slowly, pick up the pace as you get the fly closer to set up your next cast.

The tug is the drug. When we dry fly fish or nymph, Its visual, we see the fish eat the dry, we see the bobber go under. With streamers, it's a tug, tug, tug. If you get a tug, strip set. This means, instead of lifting the tip and stripping the line, as we would for dries or nymphs, keep the tip low and strip first and move the tip of the rod low and to the side. Which side? 180 degrees from where the strike occurred. With steelhead, sometimes it's advantagous to feed the fish a foot or two of line. Good anglers will keep a small amount of line loose behind there stripping finger, when the strike occurs, they let the loose line go, it forced the fly into the fish's face. Fish don't have hands, they use their mouth to investigate things.

My god. TMI? That was the simple answer! ;)

20. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Yeah, when are you taking me fishing too? You going to be in E-burg for the FFF event?