Yakima River Clean-up Days - October 2009

Discussion in 'Events' started by Derek Young, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
    Upfront, I'll apologize if this is an event that's already in the planning stages for this year, but I haven't seen anything posted as of yet - and there is already some good momentum on another thread about river clean up.

The idea is to get as many anglers and boats and trucks and helping hands as possible, and get the Yakima River cleaned up. This year seems particularly bad to me - it's sad to see the trash, discarded clothes, punctured rafts, etc - you name it, the river needs our help.

If you're interested in helping out in any way possible, post up here - I'll contact the shops, guides, and outfitters in the area (or post up if you represent one) and start the ball rolling. I'll get the Bellevue/Issaquah TU Chapter involved too. Any other ideas?

If you've facilitated a river clean-up like this before - GREAT - let's not reinvent the wheel. I'd just like to get the ball rolling and start generating interest.

Yes - the river will need to come down some in flows - hence the October choice. But there's plenty of trash to be taken now....:(

Thanks for your comments, support, and ideas. Let's get something done. Who wants to help?
  2. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    The Worley-Bugger has one in Feb\Mar. Love it every year, Count me in on this one!
  3. EasyE Member

WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    As noted in the other thread, I am in so long as the date chosen isn't spoken for already. I have a boat and would be willing to offer a seat to somone else that doesn't have one. Sounds like a great way to do some good for the river and meet some WFF members at the same time.
  4. Jake Dixon Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Same as EasyE - as long as I don't have anything else that weekend. I have a boat as well - happy to offer a seat.
  5. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

I'm there also, BBQ, Truck, Boat or Raft count me in.

Bill.
  6. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    I'd be up for that. Haven't made the earlier clean ups. No boat but relatively able bodied and can load the truck the collected detritus.

MB
  7. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Got a boat now. I'm in...
  8. Warmonger newt

Yakima, WA
    count me in!
  9. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    I'd probably be in, no boat, but very able.
  10. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Thanks everyone - I'll post up a date and bump this thread when I hear from Scoones about making this an event that can be posted.
  11. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Don't hold your breath waiting on him. 10 hrs & 10 minutes later.

Bill.

:thumb:
  12. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Well, I enjoy this forum and don't want to get booted for not following the rules. However, we should probably get going on this.

The result should be more important than the organizing, but I sure do value a smart process and clear objectives.

I'll reach out to the Cle Elum and Ellensburg shops and ask their advice on planning and logistics.

Thanks everyone for the enthusiastic responses to help. Anyone interested in helping to organize please chime in.
  13. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    I have set the date - October 17th and 18th. Posted on the Events calendar. Please take a look and spread the word - the River needs our help.

Let's plan a group meet-up/BBQ on Saturday evening, as well as a photo-op/wrap up meeting on Sunday to get some photos and positive exposure for this event.

From this thread, here's who has already expressed an interest:

Connor H
    EasyE
    Jake Dixon
    Bill Dodd
    Scott Salzer
    Warmonger
    Luke 77

Thanks in advance for your contributions and willingness to get out there and spend some time cleaning the river - it will be worth it.

Derek
  14. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    I fished Saturday and Sunday through the canyon. It was almost sickening... I saw people finishing beer and throwing it behind them into the water. We counted 15 or so deflated inner tubes in the bushes and wrapped around sticks! I think this event should help do wonders considering this is a 2 day event.
  15. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +726 / 0
  16. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Derek.
    I'm in but just so you know, Oct 17th is the opening day of modern firearm deer season.
    And a lot of WFF members and Fly Fishers will be hunting that day.
    Just saying.

Bill.

:thumb:
  17. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    This...

I got drawn for the firing center this year and it opens the 17th, sorry, won't be able to make it. :hmmm:
  18. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Derek.
    How about late SEPT????

Bill.
  19. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ha - didn't consider that. There's always something - there should be enough widespread interest to make it a successful weekend however.

Good luck on opening day!
  20. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Bill - sure, we're not far enough along yet that a date change can't be made. I am booked every weekend with clients in Sept but for the last one - should we make a go at that one? The 26th and 27th?