Yakima Steelhead run breaks 6000

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Paul Huffman, May 10, 2012.

1. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,697 / 0
    Cool info Paul. Do you think any of those fish over Prosser could be dip ins that drop back out and head to other tribs?

Sg
  2. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Paul, is the assumption 1 pair is responsible for 1 redd only? From my recollections a hen could and usually did excavate several redds in the vicinity, sometimes very difficult to differentiate one from another. If we assumed a single pair were responsible for 1.5 or 2 redds then the mystery (or the poaching or both) becomes even more significant doesn't it?
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Klickrolf,

Don't mean to speak for Paul, but yes. Generally the value of 1.2 redds per female steelhead is used when estimating escapement unless site specific data suggesting another value is available.

Sg
  4. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +145 / 0
    correct, Rolf. I was just making a quick calculation to illustrate the discrepancy.
  5. CurtisS Member

Amanda Park, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Thanks for the education Paul! great info.
  6. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    This could be evidence of progress for steelhead in the drainage below Roza. Alot of steelhead are unacounted for and I'd assume most will/did spawn. I doubt many out of basin fish would "stray" above Prosser...maybe there's good stuff happening in the Yakima, I hope so.
  7. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +672 / 0
    Did you not get the last bulletin? This is now known as the 'Skagit Management Plan' or SMP for short.
  8. fifafu Guest

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Does anyone have any idea how many fish went up the North Fork of the Stilly this winter? Is there a count?
  9. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    I am pretty sure that they (WDFW employees) are still counting redds inthe NF Stilly, and will continue doing so into the month of June.
  10. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +145 / 0
    That's another question that the radio tags can help answer. If you go to DART, you'll find quite a few hatchery steelhead counted at Prosser, even a few at Roza, and none of these fish would have originated in the Yakima Basin, except for the few accidentally occurring adipose clips. From PIT tags, we occasionally see amazing wanderings, like way up the Yakima or Klickitat, then ending up in Idaho. Kinda makes you wonder why ESA is so interested in preserving distinct genetic population segments when the steelhead are mixing it up on their own.

One of the radio tags this spring was detected in an alley in a small lower valley town. There's an amazing migration for you!
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    I thought the difference between dip ins and strays is that dip ins eventually leave to migrate to their natal stream, which it appears your Yakima and Klickitat PIT tagged fish did. Strays originally from one river end up spawning in a different river. The ESA plans aren't trying to prevent straying of NOR fish. Hatchery strays are another matter, although in the UCR even the most logical explanations make only limited sense.

Sg
    Paul Huffman likes this.
  12. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0