Yakima steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by singlemalt, Nov 7, 2010.

1. singlemalt New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I fished the Yakima Halloween weekend and caught what looks like a steelhead in the lower canyon section within a mile of Red's fly shop. It tasted great:) I hooked it on a #18 bead head pheasant tail with 6X - not the typical steelhead fare. What do you think - steelhead or big rainbow? My buddy snapped the blurry photo and I quickly released it without a measurement. It made my weekend!! I also fished the upper canyon section the following day near Cle Elum and caught some large cutts on dries - fantastic View attachment 35789 View attachment 35790 fall weekend!!
  2. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    Well done sir. I'm going to say steelhead just because.
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    Looks like a lost Methow hatchery fish
  4. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    Even though there have been just 16 steelhead put above Roza since June, they must be biting well because I've heard of some reports.

A few months ago, the Flyfishing and Tying Journal had a article on rigging for trout when you think you could catch a steelhead. I think it was Whitlock. The article prescribed a tiny pheasant tail below a stonefly nymph. And that's how I accidentally hooked one below Roza a few years ago. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...rout-2c-and-all-i-got-was-this-steelhead.html
  5. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Def a steelhead. Could be from anywhere.
  6. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    Steelhead; lack of spots below lateral line, torpedo shape, lack of adipose fin (I think).

Good catch! :)
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    I believe your are correct.
    Nice fish either way.
  8. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Tasted Great? Within a mile of Red's Fly Shop. I hope you are kidding. The Yakima above Roza is catch and release except for white fish. Nice looking fish!

9. sroffe Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Yup, looks clipped. Good Job.:thumb: