Yakima still fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ray helaers, Nov 26, 2001.

1. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Just FYI the Yak fished pretty well on Saturday. Fishing on our feet, two of us landed a dozen or so fish, all over 12, a couple 17+, on nymphs and streamers. We fished the canyon, from mile 17 down to Mahers. We even had rising fish to a blue-winged olive hatch for about a half hour.

Don't know what the next storm will do, but it was certainly better than I expected, and we had the river pretty much to ourselves on a strikingly beautiful if austere day.

2. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

I fished the lower canyon friday and got into the middle of a chironomid hatch. Previously I had my doubts that decent sized fish would take a gnat. I thought I'd have nothing but subyearling chinook on. But the griffiths gnat pattern was easy to tie so I had just made 4 or 5. I had a slow afternoon of nymphing and was just about ready to walk home when rising fish brought me back streamside. I tried my nymph right in front of some risers but they ignored it. But I kept swiping these chironomids away from my face. Slowly I caught on. While fish rose all around me, some within a rods length, I tried to stealthy tie on a fluorocarbon tippet, draw out a gnat, thread the damn hook eye with hands trembling with excitement and with the light fading. I flipped the gnat a few feet and a couple of casts hooked up on nice trout that plowed into it with his mandible scooping air. But I was overly excited and popped the tippet right off. Then I had to
    repeat the whole procedure of drawing out another fly carefully so as not to disturb the greedily feeding trout all around me. And of course I got all tangled up around the rod tip and did a lot of extra thrashing around. I had a notable trout plow into my gnat on a downstream pass. He didn't believe he was hooked at first, then he decided to beat feet, or fins, rather, out of there. He buzzed off my line to the backing towards the middle, then downstream. I thought I could keep him from dropping out of the pool but the 7X fluorocarbon just wasn't going to hold him.

It was fun for about an hour and a half when it just got too dark for me and the trout. I only had one subyearling on.