Yakima Stoneflies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chad Lewis, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

Richard,
    The yellow foam is strictly a visual aid. Damned hard for me to follow such a dark fly, even such a large one (6-8), unless the light conditions are just right.

2. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Good idea; I should try that on mine.
    Dick

3. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Preston, that is a very nice pattern. Did you trim the bottom of the thorax hackle?

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Yes. Skwalas are not very good floaters and sit very low in the water. I rely on the moose hair wing to provide most of the bouyancy. I had a pretty good day in the Yakima canyon yesterday and found a spot that had an unusually large number of westslope cutts, something that I've not normally encountered that low down in the river. I have not yet hit a good BWO hatch this spring and all of our fish came to dry Skwalas.

5. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    That's encouraging. I'm headed there tomorrow and already have a fair number of BWO cripples tied up. I tried to imitate your fly; this is what I came up with:

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

They look pretty good. I usually make a couple of soft turns of thread at the rearmost point of the wing tie-in to keep it from flaring. The stonefly's wings lie folded flat over its back so I try to keep the wing as low as possible and avoid the tented-wing appearance of a caddis.

7. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Oh okay...soft turns at the rear of the wing. I wondered how you did that. Good to know. Do you tie the loops down to the hook shank?

The two rising fish that I found yesterday responded positively to the orange thorax pattern.:thumb:

But then at the VERY end of the day (like 7:30) I found a pod of rising fish that I COULD NOT catch in the failing light. When I couldn't tie the knot on the third pattern I was going to try on them I called it...very reluctantly.

Good ol' Yak. Up to it's old tricks.

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

Just tie the wing in as is normally done then make a couple of turns at the appropriate place with minimal tension. Make a couple of tighter turns forward of that, tie in the hackle and continue from that point. I hope that makes it clear.