Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

I called a NW Washington fly shop to get a little information for my upcoming trip to Forks. The salesman gave me great advice on where to float and where not to along with a lot of other great information. When I asked what flies to use, he told me Yarnies, which I had never heard of. He also told me how to fish them, which is very similar to nymph fishing here in Montana.

I did some Googling and found out more about them, but a lot sites were from spin fisherman. My thoughts are that they are just big Glo-bugs. I also fished with Jim Kerr two years ago and remembered these are what we used from his drift boat, but did not remember him calling the Yarnies.

My question to WFF, is what are your thoughts on Yarnies?

Steve Unwin likes this.
  2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

They are easy to tie, simple, but most importantly, effective. Anything that meets that criteria is all good to me!

Alexander likes this.
  3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

depends how you want to fish. from the boat? from the shore? spey rods?

the only time i would fish yarn flies would be when the good swing water is blown out and i'm forced to fish small streams. nymphing rivers with such a long and storied fly fishing history seems odd imo, but during december fishing over hatchery fish it will certainly bring more fish to hand.

4. I neither love them or hate them but I do think of them as similar to glo-bugs.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Oh crap, here we go again! Bummed I didn't get in before Chris tried to convince you of how evil you are for wanting to use an effective method to catch fish.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Yarnies are legit.

I do like tying marabou speys, and little Sol Doc speys to imitate them. Am I going to hell for nymphing with spey flies?

If i had a choice of yarnie or bead...I'd use a bead.

Paul Huffman likes this.
  7. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Yarnies crush everything that swims. You can never have too many. Buy a pro pack of size 2 owner mosquito hooks. Cerise, orange, pink, chartreuse and white UV bling yarn. Cut a pile of 1" long pieces of various colors. Take each piece and divide into 4 equal pieces. Start your thread on your hook. Toss a piece on, wrap a couple times with thread. Next piece on. Wrap. More yarn... Wrap. Whip finish. Pop it out of your vice and pinch all the yarn and pull it back and give it one trim with your scissors to even it up and give it a roundish profile. Done.

I typically use 4 pieces in each yarnie but go as sparse as 3 on some bugs. Sparse is fishy. That's the simplest format and I tie and fish those little beauties with confidence.

Almost wish I had yarn here with me in Chile. Guess I will tie another swinger.... Enjoy your trip.

tkww, Alpine4x4 and Evan Burck like this.
  8. David Dalan

I've wondered at times how a rag would fish on something like an iFlight and a long t-11/t-14 head.

9. PT

PT Physhicist

Not as well as they do on my Sage CT290 and Daiwa Zillion. ;)

10. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Hate.

Go Sox,
    cds

constructeur likes this.
  11. Chris Bellows

evil? i never said that but what's a nymphing thread without some misquoting with a side of butthurt.

12. Seriously what reel pairs with my deathstar

David Dalan likes this.
  13. 0101tj

0101tj Member

Yarnies = chrome

14. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

No misquote, just good ole fashion inference. "...nymphing rivers with such a long and storied fly fishing history seems odd imo..." Besides eggs are not nymphs, in the insect world the egg happens before the larval stage and in a complete metamorphosis it is then before the larval and pupal/nymph stage. In this case though the egg pattern in question is most likely matching the salmon egg hatch (you know matching a hatch in fly fishing, you know actually throwing something at fish that they actually are attempting to eat, doesn't get more traditional than that, so not throwing egg patterns in these hallowed water is by far more odd than throwing them). Do you think if those who first fished the the OP rivers would have know about the effectiveness of vertical presentations that they would have not used it because it worked well? Is it possible that they stuck with swinging because there were more fish and they didn't have to do anything else? I imagine that if they were faced with the same numbers of fish and the option of the techniques, that these storied characters would laugh at all the people who fall back on tradition/respect for the fish/yada yada for not actually using what works.

flyfishmt, the more people are up in arms about your approach, the more likely it is that it works.

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

This is humorous. Early OP steelheaders were creative and had access to yarnies, split shot and bobbers. It seems like they chose everything from weighting flies to lead line in an effort to get down. They ddidn't use bobbers or shot that I know of. There have been egg flies swung for years (think Babine special or double egg sperm flies).

If I were to make an inference regarding what steelhead flyfishing pioneers thought, I'd guess that they would view modern bobber/ shot nymphing as gear fishing. The reason would be that in those streams that they succesfully lobbied to become FF only like the stilly and N. Umpqua it is disallowed.

flyfishmt,

So you understand what the deal is, IRA loves nymphing. Some, like Mr. Bellows and me, don't view it as flyfishing. It's an ongoing discussion/ argument. Mis-interperatation and hurt feelings are the norm in this argument.

If you want to use nymphing techniques, apparently yarnies work well.

Go Sox,
    cds

HauntedByWaters and KerryS like this.
  16. Chris Bellows

odd=evil.... makes sense to me.

and nymphing can certainly be considered fly fishing... but it is certainly more nuanced than i feel like explaining here, especially since i now have to say egging, beading, or glo-bugging instead of nymphing because we're discussing a yarn fly and not a mayfly nymph.

i also think it is pretty telling (and sad) that a fly shop would only mention one technique (that we know of from the OP). just adds another layer to my general dislike of the fly fishing industry. i also laugh when all of the links on yarnies via google are gear fishing sites.

17. David Dalan

Of course, what old time fisher-people would or would not do only matters if it matters to you. If following in a tradition is important, then run with it. If you want to try something else, then go crazy. Its your free time to do with as you please.

There is no definition for fly fishing other than the one you choose to accept. Fish in accord with the definition that works for you.

Unless you are in FF only waters. Then you better read the regs, because someone had their definition adopted by the man :)

underachiever likes this.
  18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I love this idea that those who support people fishing how they choose to fish with a fly rod and fly line (and yes calling it fly fishing, yes I guess if we don't catch the fish with our hands it is all technically gear fishing so I guess you are right there Charles) some how have hurt feelings when someone says differently, yet it seems to me it is always the traditionalist who start these arguments and then respond the most vehemently. I feel so butt hurt right now, my feelings are so hurt.

19. ten80

ten80 Active Member

This damn argument again... seriously? The horse is dead, put away your beatin sticks. What a waste of electrons, nothing has been gained by this inane bickering over something we each define for ourselves.

As for the subject of yarnies, I've fished them little on the dry side and have witnessed their effectiveness. I enjoy fishing simple patterns and yarnies fit the bill. Plus, they can be tied to resemble chinook eggs, which is effective at the right time of year. They also don't seem to tangle up too much when nymphing, compared to weighted flies and are relatively easy to cast. I should fish them more often.

JesseC likes this.