Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. FT

FT Active Member

Whadayamean you can't plunk with a fly rod? Jus' fill up da' reeal wif' sum flat mono, tee a leedar ta da' mono, poot sum led on da' leedar, den ad da' huke wif sum yawrn teed ta the huke. Yissiree, dis 'ill chuk da huke wif da yawrn owt in da' reevir a fare peese. An da besstestes pert is ya duz it wif da flee pole so's yer a flee fyshen.

TallFlyGuy likes this.
  2. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

All this talk of plunking I HAVE to tell this story..

Last winter I was fishing for hatchery steelhead that stray at a great rate in this particular lower Columbia tributary. I was about 5 miles above the adult collection facility and I was using bait. i already had half my limit so i really needed one more before I could go home. I was fishing the top of a pool and I set my eggs down thinking i wouldn't need them anymore and that I could pick them up on my way back after fishing the whole pool..
    I fished through the pool and the bottom end looked better than I though it did so I wanted to put a fresh bait on and fish it again.. so What do I do? I cast out , stick my rod handle in some roots on the bank and thought to myself, this is a really bad idea!! I am gonna walk back up to get my bait, come back down and there will be a fish on.. so I walked back up to get my eggs and come back down, pick up my rod and feel a heavy throbbing I actually started laughing out loud then got serious about this fish.. I saw it flash a couple times it was a big buck, my first thought was an old dark chinook but it came up to the surface to spit my hook back at me and saw that it was a big hatchery buck. I feel bad that I couldn't remove it from the gene pool but hopefully he didn't find a native female who would have him..
    at any rate plunking works *LOL*.

Back to the topic, yarnies glo bugs whatever you want to call them. they work whether you put bait or sent on them of just leave them bare. My advice would be to come out in december or early january if that's how you want to fish. come fill a cooler or two. but if you come in Feb- April consider throwing chickens and t-14 instead, Just my advise.

Lex and TallFlyGuy like this.
  4. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:

actually very interesting.

wonder what he would say about fishing a lightly weighted nymph with a bobber using the fly line to cast it...fly casting, but not fly fishing?

based on an internet blog....always the truth and nothing but the truth... ;)

Also, I've always been amazed that it seems that this only matters to steelhead fishermen...trout guys don't really seem to give a shit.

Irafly and triploidjunkie like this.
  5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

6. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

7. Randall Clark

Media:
    there was also a time when Spey Fishing meant a very specific type of fishing iat a specific location n Scotland...not these Skagit shooting heads with 15' of T---whatever.

Things evolve, for better or for worse (yes, that goes for both swingers and nymphers).

I do know this: I enjoy nymphing with and without a bobber a lot, I enjoy swinging a dry line a lot, I enjoy skating dries a lot, I enjoy dead drifted dries a whole lot, I enjoy stripping streamers a lot...most of all, I enjoy doing all of this with my SH glass rods, nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers,
    Randy (enjoyinganicecoldHopworksIPArightnow)

triploidjunkie likes this.
  8. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    So most of my nymphing (only for trout, at least for now) does not include a bobber/float/indicator (I find they're ungainly most of the time) or splitshot (can't cast it for beans)... just upstream casts and beadhead nymphs. Am I a gear whore, destined to be shunned by the fly-fishing community at large for eternity? Or am I riding in the liminal zone, a wanderer in the twilight between gear and fly? Is my fishing soul bound for the purgatory set aside for those who couldn't pick a camp, forever fishing for an answer? Am I a douche who likes to pointlessly troll on internet forums sometimes?

If so, do you think Nate Treat will accept me and my obviously flawed ways into his perfectly muscled, permanently tan arms and we'll fly away to the land of 80lb chromers?

Lex likes this.
  9. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Media:
    This mean 99.9% of the guys on the Bighorn are not fly fisherman. Does this comment also go for weighted heads?

10. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I admit i will use my fly rod to gear fish. I have no problem admitting it, i also say( to friends) i was flyfishing today... only because i was using a flyrod instead of my gear rods... its a lie, and i know it. I like to use my flyrod for gear fishing, the nymphs and indicators are fun to use on a fly rod. I also troll a WB on a fly rod and call it fly fishing to friends when i know i am actually using my fly rod for gear fishing.
    My friends dont give a rats ass what i call it..... but complete strangers obviously do?

indicator or bobber- oh the humanity!

11. Randall Clark

Media:
    Not really sure why side drifting is even part of the argument, especially since you're not casting at all, just drift, mend, drift mend, set...repeat. Personally, I'm talking about hiking the river, casting my flies using the line to get them out there...sometimes not using an indi...errr uh bobber, sometimes not. Who cares how they market it or what they call it? Someone saw an opening in the market to make some money, can't really fault them for that...not to mention trying to make something that already worked, better. Just like the development of various lines and shooting heads for TH rods. Take the Skagit lines for example, meant to turn over 15' of type 8 (to get that half chicken down) plus a half chicken...made it much easier than simply throwing a dry line and using ones skill in mending and line management to get that fly down into the zone...

Regardless of which camp you're in, people are trying to make fishing more effective.

....and we're back to the beginning of this thread pretty much...

12. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

I'll probably catch shit for this, but I think nymphing without a float can be way more effective but takes a lot more time become proficient. It takes more work to dial in your setup and you must really have a handle on line control or you are going to spend the day feeding flies to the river Gods. Think Kaufman Stones rolling through rocks.

I think the Doug Rose article makes basically the same statement about swinging. It's less effective and can take a longer time to master. I personally think it is actually on the top of the list in effectiveness for warm weather summer runs (especially wild ones) and for summer trout, but in colder water the amount of precision needed to make it regularly effective is WAY higher.

I for one completely understand why someone would float fish (i.e. indicator nymph) or drift fish (dredging with tips and or splitshot). "Because I want to" is all the reason that there needs to be. If you want to call yourself a fly angler, do it. Some people will say "yep you are" and some will say "hell no you aren't."

I mean, there is a school that considers dry flies as the ONLY true fly fishing. All else is an abomination.

I'll close with the same thing I have said before...I'm not trashing how anyone fishes.

plaegreid likes this.
  13. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I am a steelhead fly fisherman and I have caught lots of steelhead while fly fishing. I have caught almost all of my fly caught steelhead while wade fishing and casting with a fly line to move my equipment out to a seam. My equipment almost always includes an indicator and weighted flies and on occasion a small split shot. If you adamantly continue to say that that is not fly fishing, I will continue to just laugh at you. I am not offended by your opinion, I just think it is ridiculous. You plain make me laugh. Please continue to make me laugh, I'm enjoying the entertainment. The idea that suddenly and indicator no longer makes it fly fishing, that some self proclaimed "elitists" feel they have the gonads to be the gods that make that decision is just as I said before, laughable.

Now randomly take a sample of 100 people and bring them out and have them watch me fish and ask them what type of fishing I'm doing. I imagine that an over whelming number of them will say I am fly fishing. Now take a random sample of fisherman (not just fly guys) and do the same thing, again over whelmingly I bet they'll say I'm fly fishing. Now take a bunch of self proclaimed fly fisherman (well at least 80% of the time anyway) and once again, I bet that I'm called a fly guy again. Now continue this process until we make it to just people who swing and now we might run into a situation where the percentage drops to less than 50%. Ha ha ha, I'm not a fly fisherman, ha ha ha. I just can't stop smiling. Sopflyfisherman, thanks for keeping this joke rolling!

Nick Clayton and Randall Clark like this.
  14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I don't care.

Ringlee and Slate Run like this.
  15. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Been swinging these for years now...

Attached Files:

Alexander, KerryS and Jon V like this.
  16. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would say that fishing with an indicator and shot is not flyfishing.

I would also point out that there is a difference between having standards and being an elitist.

You are welcome for the entertainment.

Go Sox,
    cds

17. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I like how the jungle cock nails make it okay.

Alexander and Irafly like this.
  18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Blah ha ha ha ha, blah ha ha ha! So you are an elitist then? Standards?

19. 0101tj

0101tj Member

I like catching steelhead there fore I use yarnie!

20. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Everytime I read this thread it makes me cry into my tweeds, silk lines and Hardy reels.

Irafly likes this.