Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    " me thinks thou doth protest too much"
    PT likes this.
  2. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    lol, Lex, that's funny. yep, sometimes I troll with my fly pole with a full sinking fly line and a weighted wooly bugger. I just call it trolling with a fly pole. who cares. I have fun.
    JW
  3. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    No one seems to care and yet the argument goes on, why is that?
  4. John Weston Member

got me. I need to do something else.
    JW
  5. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +754 / 0
    the industry sells graceful casts and tights loops and delivers windshield wiper casts side drifting from a boat.
    TallFlyGuy and PT like this.
  6. John Weston Member

Chris, read your blog. I like it. thanks.
    JW
  7. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +439 / 0

because bobber guys are hung up on being called fly fishermen. the know deep down they are not, but they want in the club so badly. its simple boys, read the sign on the door. no floats allowed.
    TallFlyGuy likes this.
  8. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,051 / 1
    Because swinging guys are so hung up on not giving up on the idea that indicator fishing isn't fly fishing, even though they know deep down inside that it really is, but they want their club to be super duper exclusive, you know like back in the "good ole days" "It's simple boys, read the sign on the door, ..."
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  9. Irafly Active Member

Absolutely, glad you picked up on that, but why the quote marks?
  10. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

Here is what happens.....;)

Johnny flyfisherman is put into a trance seeing and hearing stories along with videos about majestic steelhead being taken on the swing. He can't help himself... thinking about it constantly...at work, at home...on the john. All these pictures of guys catching steelhead and talking about it.... Surely johnny can do it too. Johnny pays out the ass for gear, new rods, lessons, flies, etc etc. In the process of buying all the said gear...Johnny just about loses mrs. johnny with his new financial endeavors... but he's gonna catch one and it will be glorious beyond all his wildest dreams.....

Johnny tries so hard to get one....He tries and tries one season after another. Johnny at one point decides it is damn near impossible to catch one on the swing. "What a bunch of crap!", he thinks to himself. Then Johnny is tempted to use the floats, and bobbers, and splitshot that helped him so easily catch steelhead before this new addiction came along. He concedes to his temptation, and Resorts to gear fishing...er I mean putting gear on a fly rod and calling it fly fishing..... then it happens... Johnny catches a steelhead on gear attached to his fly rod.

Johnny takes pictures of his glorious accomplishment, and posts on all the internet forums along with Facebook etc. Johnny receives lavish praise and cheer from family friends and relatives. Johnny is now a fly fishing expert master steelheader guru and gives lots of advice and suggestions to all those other poor souls who haven't paid their dues and still have not caught a fish on a fly rod.

Johnny goes fishing again and catches another fish on his same gear, and posts another picture on the net. In johnny's carelessness, he accidentally shows the yarnie in the corner of the fish's mouth. Quickly, another fly fishing master expert guru notices the yarnie and calls Johnny out telling him he caught it on gear, and to grow up, to be a real man and not use all that gear on his Fly rod.

Johnny gets upset, and then begins to tell everyone on the net to F-OFF. He begins to tell everyone it takes mucho more skills and abilities to catch a steelhead on nymphing gear....with all that mending and casting of splitshot and bobbers... so much more than just casting a fly out there at a 45 degree angle and "swinging" into shore...Any buffoon can do that.

You see, Johnny doesn't want to lose his status as a fly fishing master expert Jedi guru steelheader, and anytime someone brings up nymphing vs swinging, he defends nymphing to the death. Finally, there are a few who consistently and often catch steelhead on the swing...why? Because they paid their dues and stuck with it and never gave up. These special fishermen know the work involved, the psychological pain, the psychological suffering, and struggle they went through to consistently catch fish, on the swing, on their own, and without a guide. Anytime a young wannabe johnny fly-fisherman comes along and tells the world that nymphing and swinging are the same thing or equal, those in the special club get pissed and tell johnny its not the same thing. And the war continues and continues throughout all time and eternity.......
  11. sopflyfisher Active Member

sage words. you've seen the jonnies!
  12. Irafly Active Member

My condolences for your obvious psychological pain and suffering, I can see now how profoundly all of that effort to catch a steelhead with an inferior method impacted you personally and why you might assume all indicator fisherman are Johnnies. I can also see how you might want to take out your frustration on everyone who didn't follow the same path to marginal success that you did. I can see that you need to tell yourself that you are better because you chose to do things the "hard way", it is likely the only way you can live with yourself. Although I have never even come close to being offended by anything you or any other swinging zealot have had to say, I do feel sorry for you now.

All my fellow indicator fly fisherman, let's give these poor swingers a break and let them live with the consequences of how they chose to chase steelhead. If they want to tell the world that the only true stellhead fly fisherman are those who swing, lets give that to them, even though we know the truth. It looks like they need it more than we do, poor fellows.
  13. sopflyfisher Active Member

are you suggesting that those who swing are racists pricks? or are you suggesting that floats and shot are the gay marriage or abortion of "fly" fishing and that we all need to see those issues your way or else?
  14. Irafly Active Member

No, I thought that that was what you were implying.
  15. sopflyfisher Active Member

hat's with the ideas that old or traditional are inferior. perhaps some tradition and reverence would do you well. i mean you teach right? do you tell your students about the before times, before bobbers and x box or do you see tv as the new book?
    PT likes this.
  16. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Shakespeare
    sopflyfisher likes this.
  17. sopflyfisher Active Member

oh and you still can't be in the club. even with a white bobber
    Irafly and TallFlyGuy like this.
  18. John Weston Member

wow boys, I think this is now way out of hand. when ya start talking racists, gay marriage an abortion this ain't fun anymore. I think our owner needs to put a hold on this thread.
    JW
  19. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    That right there is over the line, I'm out!
    KerryS likes this.
  20. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

Johnny Johnny Johnny......
    Irafly likes this.