Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,052 / 1
    Since you brought up the whole abortion and homosexuality issue, I'll leave that to you (to close to the whole political thing we are not allowed to talk about). I will certainly openly without issue say that some old traditions are highly inferior and I do not think for a second that embracing those traditions with any form of reverence would do me well. Would embracing new technologies do you well?

It is my sense of history by the way and a clear understanding of positive advancement through the use of technology that allow me to enjoy this conversation (if it is getting to personal though for you, I can certainly back off, again I've believed this has been all in fun) and to connect with my students. The X-Box, TV, smart phones, twitter, indicators and other technological advances in themselves are not bad things. Having a single unimaginative understanding of these things without discretion is though in my opinion and it seriously lacks just those 21st century skills I need to be teaching my students. So yes, TV can be the next book, why not? What is the intended outcome of books? If I read on a kindle, I guess I can call it reading but to embrace traditionalism and reverence for the old paper technology I can't call it reading a book. "Have you read that new book by Steven King?" "No, but I did read the words that are in the book on my Kindle."
    Randall Clark, KerryS and PT like this.
  2. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +681 / 0
    this is why I've switch to tenkara , less crap to forget at home & no critics
  3. Irafly Active Member

Fair enough, said in jest just like the rest of this thread, and it was to easy of a set up. I shouldn't have put it out there the way I did. I could have come up with a better analogy that would have been funny and not stepped over that invisible line. Instead of leaving though offer me a better suggestion to make my Good Ole Boy joke. Maybe the sign is on the outside of the oxymoronic Monogamous nymphing fly fishers club and the sign says no swingers allowed. Better.
  4. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +442 / 0
    i will concede skagit heads are the kindle. i will however not concede that indicators and shot are fly fishing. i also think its jealousy that makes a man shout down the penetant, hard working, patient man and proclaim his sorry short cut better. there's learning in those eons of fruitless swinging trying for more than a fish, but for the reward of doing a job the right way. if you are all about evolution and invention in the name of efficiency get a spinning rod and some jigs.
  5. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    More Sage words! Irafly has identified himself as president of the johnny fly fishing club:)
    Irafly likes this.
  6. Irafly Active Member

I tried the spinning rod and jig and to be honest it doesn't work as well. I've fished next to gear guys with floats and except for only one case (Evan Burke and his center pin) I've out fished them all using the fly rod. I've even attempted to help some of those gear guys rig up the same way that I am with my flies and it just doesn't seem to work as well, they can't accomplish the same float. And that is where the center pin comes in. Although in that one case Evan was a bit off his game and I landed more steel than he did, he just hooked a couple more than I did. I would never argue though that center pin fishing is fly fishing because you do not use the weight of the line to cast the leader and fly. Just as I wouldn't say that listening to a book on tape would be the same as reading the book.

Would you concede that a dry dropper is fly fishing?
  7. Irafly Active Member

I kinda always wanted me a regular like name, I'm thinkin I like Johnny, can my last name be Johnny as well.

"Johnny Johnny, how has the fishin been today?"
    "Oh, I've walloped me a whole load of them metal heads using this here advanced indicator set up that is Oh so superior to to that swingin crap."
    "Indicator set up? You dirty greedy good for nothing Johnny"
    ":)"
  8. sopflyfisher Active Member

the truth is a hard pill to swallow sometimes, but oh so liberating
  9. Irafly Active Member

Oh so you finally figured out that indicator fishing while wade fishing is fly fishing. It is liberating isn't it, I knew you would come around, congratulations!
  10. sopflyfisher Active Member

give it up. i will never be fooled, and you will forever be decieved.
  11. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
  12. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

So if I put a shooting head fly line on my center pin reel and attach it to my two hander along with all the bobbers, split shot, and beads.... "Abra Ca DA-bra, Peanut Butter Sandwiches"....... I'm fly fishing!
  13. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    TallFlyGuy likes this.
  14. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    You gotta work at it to get Johnson to bow out. I know. I've tried....he doesn't leave over inconsequential shit. If I got that reaction from him, I'd take a step back....and I rarely take a step back. Trust me, I can be a truly offensive man.

Bobbers are not a technological advancement. Neither are lead shot. Available for ages...never flyfishing, still not flyfishing, never to be flyfishing.

Go Red Sox,
    cds
  15. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    My only issue in arguments like this is that some people seem to think that everyone picks one method and that's the only way they fish.
    It's like when people bitch about "gear guys." Am I a gear guy? Yes. Am I a fly fisherman? Yes.
  16. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +681 / 0
    You can blame all the worlds problems on me , I was once a Gillnetter....
    KerryS and Irafly like this.
  17. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    This has now gone "over the line"...you mean allowed?
  18. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    what really is the difference in swinging a spoon and swinging a brightly/mutli colored fly? really nothing, accept the reel, so get over your selves.;) besides the fish cant see your wonderful backhand, and they cant see your apparel. :)
    Irafly likes this.
  19. Irafly Active Member

So have toothbrushes, but you can't for a second claim that there haven't been technological advancements in them, can you? Fly rods have also been around for years, but I'm guessing your not hand planning your own bamboo. Indicators have advanced beyond "bobbers" in fly fishing, as have rods, reels, lines, waders, etc... All of which are designed to advance the sport, and yes I'll concede, make it easier (Which I believe everyone here will also have to concede). It just continues to be hilarious to me, and therefore worth my time to keep baiting the swingers into defending the notions that "only nymphers get offended" and "indicators aren't fly fishing".
    Randall Clark likes this.
  20. Irafly Active Member

Yeah Klickrolf I've been told now that it was over the line (by people not directly involved) and I then even admitted it, but you must have just posted this without actually continuing to read the thread. If you had you would have known that the person I was addressing it to was not offended and also made a joke about it. For the sake of not having to deal with this again, (Accept (or is it except? Affect/Effect? I'm sure you know, please also correct my punctuation) of course that you have decided to re copy it) I changed the original post to one more cryptic so people would have to work a little harder to be offended by it.

Now just in case you were also kidding and your understanding of over the line was a joke about how I used the word aloud (Was that really an accident, or did I really mean to use the word aloud? Guess you don't know me very well.) versus allowed, then good one Klickrolf, good one!

Hey Klickrolf, how do you feel about yarnies, I don't think I caught your stance.