Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +383 / 0
    just because the industry says your great doesn't make it so. jim teeny was supposedly great yet he was really just a fancy snagger. he talked to many fly clubs too I'm sure.
    Jason Rolfe likes this.
  2. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    True, but at some point those who are revered in the industry are revered for a reason. Please openly call all of them out as not being flyfisherman/women because they promoted the use of indicators, it will openly prove what I've been trying to say all along.
  3. sopflyfisher Active Member

i don't know anyone revered for fishing indicators for steelhead.
  4. sopflyfisher Active Member

i know several revered for swinging. all the proof i need
  5. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    What are you trying to say? You want into the club? Does it really bother you that some don't really consider bobber and shot as fly fishing? Who really cares. I don't consider Skagit casting to be in the same realm as those who fish the long lines but it's nothing more than an opinion formed from my own beliefs.
  6. Irafly Active Member

Have your read this whole thread? I have no doubts that indicator fishing is flyfishing, doesn't bother me at all that others don't. No it does not bother me, not in the least but it does continue to bother other people that I do consider it fly fishing and as long as they continue to be bothered (or for that matter continue to have fun trying to push this thing to 30 pages) I think I'll continue to enjoy myself as well.
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  7. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    So what happens when you fish water that is too small to swing? Which is to say, you can't cast out/down and across because of the backcast situation, and the water is so small that a spey head of any length would already be too much. Am I allowed to nymph then? Can I call it fly fishing as long as I don't use an indicator/split?
  8. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +348 / 0
  9. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
  10. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    [IMG]
  11. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +129 / 0
    PA fish and creeks should not be used as frames of reference for Great Lakes steelhead. They are truly creeks and indeed a nympher's paradise, but hardly a gauge for "Great Lakes Steelhead" in an east coast/west coast comparison. PA has their own stock of fish and they do not compare in size or fight to the Manistee strain stocked in MI and OH or the Washington strain used in NY. There is plenty of swingable water all through the Great Lakes.

Also, I've never caught a steelhead I could see.
  12. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    As the one who started this aberration, I feel it is my duty to help it along to 30 pages. This is the placard on the Big Qualicum River on Vancouver Island posted by the BC Fisheries.

Fly Fishing poster.jpg
  13. Irafly Active Member

Semantics, really? You don't have any deep respect for anyone in the fishing industry? I don't have low standards for my respect and yet I still do revere some of the folks in the fishing industry. You don't? Why not? Are you that much of a stud (or are you that arrogant) that you don't have deep respect for anyone who has been or who is in the fishing industry? You and I have different definitions for reverence.
  14. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    How does one in this sport not revere people like Lee and Joan Wulff?
  15. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
  16. sopflyfisher Active Member

note the last phrase.

I'll buy that definition. or are you saying Canada is wrong on this.

furthermore no one has Been able to tell me who these revered god like nymphing whores of industry are? remember just cause you believe it so don't make it the true true. there is no argument. Canada, Washington, Oregon all see it in the swingers light. lemire and others would be likely angered to see you Nymphing the fly water they fought for. these places were set aside to avoid cheap and easy tactics like indicator fishing.
  17. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    No, I am not saying Canada is wrong at all. I lived on Vancouver Island for 8 years and my wife is from there. I have been fly fishing the island for the past 20 years I believe a rule like this clearly defines what is consider to be fly fishing for this particular place. Their first attempt at defining this river as fly fishing only was met with heavy weighted, treble hooked flies with a lot of snagging going on. Since then, they clarified the rule.

I have been an avid steelhead fisherman for the past 35 years and have caught 100's of steelhead using every conceivable method possible. I have no qualms about what I have done and am quite proud of my accomplishments. When I book my trips to the island or other destinations I don't always know what the water conditions will be when I get there or how they may change. So there are times where I swing, center pin or gear fish. I just adapt to each situation. What I never do is use bait, because I can't stand the mess.

If asked what my favorite way and most rewarding way to catch a steelhead is, my answer will always be swinging. I just don't know of any other way that is more rewarding than feeling that take and feeling that first big run. I am not a Spey guy and do not see that every happening. This is a personal preference and nothing else. I love my single hand and see no reason to change. Most rivers I fish do not warrant a Spey rod and I would rather invest in something more useful for me. Now, if I lived in WA, I might change my mind.

My wife and daughter both caught their first steelhead swinging flies on the Stamp River. My daughter was only 12 when she caught her first wild steelhead on a Ghost Shrimp fly that I tied.
    Irafly and Don Freeman like this.
  18. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    So if the water isn't big enough to swing, it should be considered a spawning tributary? And what does that mean when it comes to fishing it?
  19. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Ahhh, You are now seeing the light :)
  20. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

Very interesting. IF you like watching bobbers go down, there are quite a few ponds filled with bluegill and perch that should blow your mind. :p
    Irafly and Brady Burmeister like this.