Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    In all seriousness, for me personally it's all about what I feel like doing on that particular day, though the underlying constant is that I always feel like catching fish. Now my methods change based upon whatever I feel like within the regulations of course. I experiment a lot. I don't get hung up on what you want to call it, it's a minor issue to me. I grew up fishing with a wooden stick and a line tied on the other end. I'd sit on the rocks and drop my line below me in the water (salt) and with a line, hook and piece of cheese on the other end I caught lots of fish. Best memories ever! I would use my dads lead (some kind of metal) left over wine bottle neck wrap folded and re-folded for weight. I then graduated to hand line fishing, a big ol wooden spool with line, weight and hooks. Then I got a spinning rod, then I got into fly fishing.

Sometimes, I gear fish, sometimes a bait fish, bobber fish, swing flies, eggs etc. Sometimes I do it "traditional' style, sometimes, I break out of what seems to be the only way to fly fish right and go straight up un-orthodox. In the end, I look to have fun within the boundaries of the law and will do whatever I please.

What concerns me more than anything, yes more than swinging vs bobber vs whatever is THE WAY SOME PEOPLE HANDLE THE EFFING FISH!!!!

I've seen many a "traditional" fly angler BUTCHER a fish just for the camera, grabbing the fish all over etc, don't get me going here...

Anyhow, thought I'd spin the thread or at least try! :D
  2. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +429 / 0

here here! good stuff. no need to molest that fish like a, well you know. a molester. tail in knee deep, grab the fly and say good bye. the best touching is no touching. i myself have seen some bad touching by all walks of angler.
    Alexander likes this.
  3. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    No touching!!!!! Crap, you mean I spent $450.00 on G4's for nothing? Oh, I get it now, no touching the fish. The picture I am posting was of a fish that would have been properly handled had it not jumped out of my buddies hand. I call it Coho Revenge.

P1000890.JPG
  4. sopflyfisher Active Member

i love how its "monster trucking" your rod.
    Alexander likes this.
  5. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    Excellent Fish handling skills by a "traditional" Swinger...

[IMG]
    Mike T, Kaiserman and Blake Harmon like this.
  6. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Oh come on, he probably pulled it up on a worm under a bobber, then asked his buddy if he could hold that weird flyfishing rod for the photo. It's like a double hander photobomb. :D
  7. sopflyfisher Active Member

English Pete is a complete tool. he gives all of England a bad name.
    TallFlyGuy and Jason Rolfe like this.
  8. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +541 / 0
    English Pete's fish would have swam off in Canada.

Go Sox,
    cds
  9. CLO coho where are you?

Seattle
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    Can someone help me cast this on a spey rod?

[IMG]
  10. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    If you use maggots on your fly rod, is it pre-fly fishing?
    Alexander and triploidjunkie like this.
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    Like it or not that was a legally harvested fish and I suppose not one steelhead has been harvested by someone fishing with a nymph. Telling us about nymphers harvesting steelhead likely wouldn't fit with your particular brand of propaganda would it.
  12. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +367 / 0
  13. sopflyfisher Active Member

don't be too hard on Pete. its obviously just a misclip.
  14. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    Piece of cake. Just do what the bobber guys do and plop it out their and feed line down the slot.
  15. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +181 / 0

575gr Skagit head and a "Death Star"

Easy...
  16. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    I like sitting back on anchor and shooting the shit with the guys and watching the takedown on divers and plugs. Eat, drink and doze off now and then.
  17. dragonslayer New Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    Thats why I like indicator fishing. I can smoke and drink beer all the while fishing effectively with my flyrod pinched under my arm.
  18. dragonslayer New Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    This picture bums me out
  19. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +181 / 0

wait a minute, isn't that one of the reasons commonly given for swinging flies?

"gives you the chance to look around and absorb your surroundings whilst sipping on your scotch and smoking the finest of tobaccos in your pipe that has been passed down through generations"
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  20. sopflyfisher Active Member

i find a beer helmet is useful as it gives a free hand for my rod, staff, or pal mall while i swing.
    Irafly and Randall Clark like this.