Yellow Yummy

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kirk Singleton, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi,I was in Dillon last week and we fished a lot of Yellow Yummy's. It is like a big yellow woolbugger with white rubber legs. Unfortionately I didnt think to bring one home and I lost all of mine.
    Does someone have a pattern or photo? They are a easy tie but I would like to see the orig. before I start getting creative.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Abomb Active Member

In the skinny
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Here you go, only with yellow legs.
  3. pittendrigh Active Member

montana
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    The Yellow Yummie is primarily a Big Hole fly. The Big Hole has a lot of tradition that way.
    It's the only place I know were it is common to fish with sinking (wet fly) salmon fly adults,
    multi-colored marabou streamers called "Bous," and various yellow streamers. One lost
    Big Hole tradition that should make a comeback is fishing hair hackle wet flies,
    ala Pott,Wombacher and Grant. Those flies were hard to tie, but they sure do work
    well, especially in the early season.
    The Yellow Yummie is OK, but (in my book) too Yellow. Lyle Reynold's (guide and store owner)
    has a brown and yellow, rubber-legged fly called the Lyle Special that isn't quite so
    god awful yellow, and it works a lot better.

I went to a farm pond last year with some friends, to learn a streamer technique called
    the Morgan Twitch
    I put on a Yellow Yummie, so we could see the fly during the lesson. The stocked fish
    in that pond would swim up behind that fly, and then turn away. Eventually it got snagged
    on a stump and broke off. I put on a black woolly bugger and we started catching those
    fish right away. Big Hole fish will bite those yellow yummies, but (in my experience)
    they bite the Lyle Special a lot better. Also, even on the Big Hole, I've found that
    Yellow Yummies only work during the early season, when the water is high
    and tea-colored. Those Lyle Specials will work all season long.
    I don't have a photo, and couldn't find one. But if I remember right, it's
    basically a yuk bug made with brown saddle and brown marabou tail, with yellow rubberlegs and yellow
    chennile body. Maybe someone else knows of a photo out there.
  4. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    you are correct, I was using it on the Big Hole. I saw lots of people eaven fishing double yellow yummys. You should have seen them hanging from the riverside trees and bushes, it looked like xmass. If the river wasnt so high, I could have filled the streamer box to the top. Thanks for your help and Ideas. Do you think it would be a waste of time to use it on rivers in Washington?
  5. pittendrigh Active Member

montana
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Do I think it would be a waste of time, in Washington?
    Heck I dunno. Fishing is never a waste of time and I don't know the answer.
    I do stick by my own personal observations: that the not-quite-so-danged yellow
    flies work better. Yellow Yummies weren't always so yellow too, now that I think about it.
    Flies evolve. Ten years ago the Yellow Yummies you'd see had more brown in them--
    were more like the Lyle Specials I talked about. Now they're all yellow. So evolution
    isn't always toward the more better.

San Juan worms seem to be like candy on some (especially tailwater) rivers, and not to
    work so well on others. So you never know until you try.
  6. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    the flys that the boys in Melrose were selling as a yellow yummy was yellow with a olive /yellow maraboo tail and same colors hackel on the body. The san juan worm worked well but not as well as the blue copper john!