Yellowstone Camping Trip

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by bennysbuddy, Apr 13, 2012.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm looking into a fall montana camping trip that would involve a stay in the yellow stone area. I have been told that in some parts of montana I would not be allowed to use my tent trailer. I'm wondering where these areas are??

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Some parts of YNP do not allow soft sided tent trailers or tents. We stayed in West Yellowstone in our tent trailer at the KOA. Good place for family home base away from home.

3. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Why no soft sided camp trailers (a food/bear/animal) issue?

4. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    Yes. I think it is the areas around Lake like Fishing Bridge, but that info should be on the park web site. We were there last year and also stayed in West. I agree with Ed, it was a good place for a home base. Spouse wanted to look into all of the artsie shops so I hit the many fly shops. We stayed at a trailer park in our trailer. Not much in the Park itself for groceries and such, and we did not find it inconvenient to drive in everyday. Our biggest problem last year was that the rivers were all blown out, so had to play full time tourist. Note, my avatar is $3 bridge last year. Madison was high and muddy!

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Water was perfect while I was there last year. It was much more about family than fishing. I got a eve on the Madison but the treat was a few hours on the Gibbon.

6. bmcgeehan

bmcgeehan New Member

Home Page:
    Most of the campgrounds allow tent trailers. Actually wasn't aware that there were any locations that you couldn't use them. West Yellowstone fisheries in the Park don't start getting good until late September when waters cool down again. For early September I would go to the East side of the park and fish slough, soda butte, lamar and Yellowstone river.

7. Bryce Levin

Bryce Levin Member

I will definitely second the NE corner of the park. As already stated, the Gibbon, Firehole, and upper Madison will be less productive until it cools off.
    There is camping at Pebble Creek on Soda Butte Creek and also on Slough Creek.
    These would definitely be my base camp for day trips.

I would also highly suggest taking a hike up both Slough and Lamar. The scenery is amazing and the fishing can be too. Both are frequented by bears.

Anything else you want to know, let me know.

8. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    I just got back from Yellowstone on saturday and the only place i found that wouldnt take any softsided camping equiptment was fishing bridge, but that was okay with me because they wanted $50 a night there.

For my money i thought norris campground was far and away the best camp, a few spots were not open yet but out of the major sites norris wins hands down. And I wouldnt stay at mammoth again.

9. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    Twelve years ago I drove thru Yellowstone to the NW. Up from Cody before you entered the park there were many campgrounds that required hard side structures. I listened and drove down the valley until I found a campground I could pitch a tent. Next day after touring the main loop, I returned to the campsite and saw two bears right beside the road.

Joe

10. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

Madison CG allows tents and is pretty central. Reasonably close to West Yellowstone and other non-fishing attractions in the park. It's at the confluence of the Firehole and Gibbon rivers, which form the Madison. They all fished well within walking distance of the campground when we were there last August, but would likely be better in the fall.

11. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/camping-in-yellowstone.htm

fishing bridge rv park appears to be the only place not allowing soft sided trailers

Fishing Bridge RV Park is the only campground offering water, sewer, and electrical hookups-50 amp service; it is for hard-sided vehicles only (no tents or tent-trailers are allowed).

12. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I second Jumbo, Norris is my favorite, you can fish the headwaters of several streams there, the geyser basin is not as heavily visited, and it's central to lots of stuff. They took tents last time I was there.