Yellowstone National Park?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fish-on, May 18, 2005.

1. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

Hey guys, I need your expertise on this area. I'm planning to go on the 19th - 25th of June and would like to get some advice as to where I should go.

I know the place is enormous and so many places to go to. I just want to hike and explore with my girl, and most definitely fish. Stay in a hotel or camp out is something I have not decided yet (I don't want to go all out Grizzly Adam on her since I am trying to break her in without pushing it too far). The closer to our state, the better, especially with gas prices nowadays.

Thanks for any input. I'll make sure to post a report when I get back.

John

2. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    You are going to want to figure out if you want to stay at a campground or a motel real quick, like tomorrow, because many of the motels even in the border towns fill up pretty fast. Inside the Park you might be out of luck even now, especially if you want to stay at one place the whole time.

Most of the action in your time frame will be in the western part of the Park. My first choice then would probably be the Gibbon, especially in the canyon. It's right alongside the road, but it gets good hatches of all kinds of stoneflies and caddis (mostly small stones, not salmonflies), and the browns are scrappy even if they are small. The Firehole should still be okay --caddis and PMDs, with the same stuff on the Madison.

The NE part of the Park (Lamar system) will probably be out, except for Trout Lake and MAYBE Slough creek, though that's doubtful. The Yellowstone above the Falls is closed until 7/15. The river in the canyons out past the Park boundary might be nymphable --a BH Prince, a Golden Stone, and a Black Stone will be all you need. The big bugs will be moving toward the banks, even if they aren't hatching yet. Same deal on the Gardner. At the end of your time frame there might be A FEW salmonflies around, but probably not many.

If you like lakes, try Grebe Lake for grayling (around the outlet), Yellowstone Lake for either cutts or lake trout, or the outlet of Lewis Lake.

Need more, e-mail me. I'm head guide for a shop in Gardiner.

3. fish-on

L for C,

Thanks for the info. Great point in making my decisions quick. I forgot that this is summer vacation for a lot of people and the accomodations can get rough. I will discuss this with my lady and see what we can come up with. I may take you up on your offer and pm you if I need more info.

Tight lines
    John

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    fish-on,

I went to YNP last June and posted a similar query to yours about 7 or 8 months beforehand. Do a search on this site for Yellowstone and follow some of the excellent advice I got from others.

Most of the campgrounds in the park are on a reservation basis, so don't plan on just showing up and finding a place to pitch your tent. We got our reservations the January before we left and finding 4 adjoining campsites at Madison Junction was nearly impossible, even 6 months ahead of time.

K

5. TWD

TWD Travis

Media:
    you might want to try the old faithful inn ... the older section in the main lodge is real affordable. If you try the reservations company site xanterra.com it might not show availability but call them each morning and I bet they will turn one up for you.
    I have stayed at most of the hotels and campsites so feel free to ping me.
    scraped this down for you. I would also recommend Mammoth for charm or Canyon for location. The lake hotel is nice but not real close for fishing options

Old Faithful Inn - open from early May to mid-October.

Old Faithful Lodge Cabins - open from mid-May to mid-September.

Old Faithful Snowlodge - open from mid-May to early October and from mid-December to mid-March.

Lake Yellowstone Hotel - open from mid-May to the end of September.

Lake Lodge Cabins - open from mid-June to mid-September.

Grant Village Lodge- open from mid-May to mid-September.

Canyon Village Lodge and Cabins - open from early June to the end of August.

Roosevelt Lodge Cabins - open from early June to the end of August.

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and Cabins - open from mid-May to early October and from mid-December to early March.

6. Dan

Dan Member

What TWD said. I've stayed in the Lake Yellowstone Hotel and the cabins located near it. I've camped at Norris and Madison Junction, too. My first choice would be to camp at Norris; second choice would be to stay at Mammoth Hot Springs. I seem to recall that here was a hot spring just below the campground at Norris that was great at the end of the day - clothing optional back in the '70s. At Mammoth, take a horse back ride out to Yancey's Hole and have a campfire dinner. Kind of a touristy thing to do - but one of my all time favorite experiences.

Dan

7. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

check out the archives. there is lots of stuff for who can find it. mike w

8. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    Boiling River (the hot spring, actually geyser outflow from Mammoth that goes briefly underground then resurfaces) will probably be closed in your timeframe due to runoff. You actually swim where the Gardner and the hot spring meet --the hot spring is 150-160 degrees.

Norris or Madison would be the best place to stay if you're mostly fishing. Both Lake and Mammoth would require a drive to open fishing, unless the Gardner is in, which is a possibility.

9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Are you dead set on Yellowstone? How long do you have to stay? Either way, PM me and I'll see what I can do for you. Do you want to catch lots of fish or just enjoy the scenery? I know I can recommend some straight forward or some out of the way adventures for you. If all else fails, stop in to any one of the Fly shops along the main drag in West Yellowstone and they'll be more than happy to help you once you've laid down a few bucks. Try the Madison River Outfitters.

IRA

10. fish-on

Kent, TWD, Dan, LUV2FLY, Irafly,

You guys are awesome, I am currently making phone calls and trying to set some stuff.

I can't say enough how many times this board has come through for me.

I'll definitely post a report when I get back.

Thanks again

John

11. Egas

Egas Too Board to be New

is the firehole still good? Saved my butt when I was there in late June and most everything else was blown out by runoff. Madison River Outfitters had an amzaing PMD emerger that I still can't find anywhere else today.

Have fun and if you fish the Firehole...watch where you step!

12. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    Firehole will probably be fishable but on its way out for the summer, unless it stays real wet. It's been getting hotter earlier over the last few years.

John Varley, the Park's chief scientist, thinks it'll be fishless in 10 years. It has just been getting warmer and warmer, both due to global warming and an increase in geothermal activity and heat in its basin --a couple years ago a secondary road was undercut by a new hot spring, and the pavement melted, if that tells you anything.

13. dlw

dlw New Member

Just a heads up, but be prepared for all types of weather.

I was there about 6 years ago at that time of year, and got snowed on. In addition to that, it rained a bunch and was really windy. Not the best weather for fishing, but im kind of a wus about the weather anyways.

The snowpack is fairly light this year though, so the rivers should be in decent shape.