Yellowstone Park Questions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by robeau, Jul 23, 2010.

1. robeau

robeau New Member

My son and I are heading to Yellowstone the first week of August. Thought I would ask for some opinions on campgrounds {will be in a tent}, sights I cant leave without seeing, Fly shops and not looking for any secret spots to fish just any recommendations on the smaller streams. Thanks for the help guys, Rob

2. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    the only campground in the park that does not allow tents is Fishing Bridge, hard sided units only. That might have changed it all depends on how the local bears have been acting lately. As far as fly shops it depends which entrance you plan on entering the park from. Fishing small streams also depends on where you want to stay in the park. I always prefered the NE corner of the park myself.

PM me if you would like more details.
    Frank

3. hellomyles

hellomyles Member

We normaly stay at Madison junction. It has a lot of trees and shade and just like that area. It is right on the madison, but it is tough fishing there, but still enjoyable. West yellowstone has quite a few good fly shops, as does Bozema/Belgrade area. The drive into the park from Belgrade follows the Gallatan river and is very cool area. As for fishing in the park, I would talk to shops in the area but the gibbon is a neat little river. Slough Creek up in the Lamar valley is also a very cool river. I would leave one day to just drive around and sight see. You cannot even put a dent in seeing everything there but you can see the main normal attractions. Hope that helps a little.

4. robeau

robeau New Member

Frank and hellomyles, thanks for the info guys, we plan on doing as much if not more sightseeing and picture taking as fishing, and a week probably will not be enough. I was kind of zeroing in on the Indian Creek campground and starting off with the creeks nearby.

5. Overlander

Overlander New to the Sport

I was in the park a couple of weeks ago and the whole place was sold out. The last to fill up was Lewis Lake but it did by 2:00 pm. Get in there early and claim a spot.
    Also the road construction is going full force, plan your trips around the park accordingly.
    Lastly, the place was just packed! try to go during the week if possible.

have fun,

Overlander

6. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

You can make reservations at several of the campgrounds. Go to the federal park site for ynp and click on campgrounds. I usually stay in Madison--great location and on about 16 miles from West Yellowstone--lots of great fly shops and they are open late. The Gibbon and Firehole are easily fished from the road, as are the Madison and some others. Caution--showers are only available at some campgrounds, such as Old Faithful, Canyon and Grant. For a kick, and a short 2 1/2 - 3 mile easy and great hike, hike in to Cascade Lake and play with grayling and cutts. For wildlife viewing, I like the Hayden and Lamar valleys. I would also spend a day driving south to Grand Teton--saw 2 bull moose mock fighting along the Gros Ventre last Sep. Classic scenery.

For driving over, I think the quickest way is to drop down from Belgrade along the Gallatin. But, this is if you are going to the west entrance at West Yellowstone.

Have a great trip.

7. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I took my family last summer, pretty much hitting the ten on this web page: http://www.yellowstone.net/topten.htm They're still young and just getting introduced to fishing, but we broke out the Echo Gecko on the Firehole and Lamar rivers. The kids were most impressed by the wildlife seen in Hayden and Lamar valleys.

This website has a pretty good rundown of the rivers/creeks/lakes in the Park http://www.yellowstoneflyfishing.com/nw.htm Click on the Yellowstone National Park drop down menu on the top left and hit a quadrant of the park you're interested in (I've linked to the Northwest option). Each will break down a number of fishing options.

8. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    You can avoid some of the congestion by moving in the opposite direction of the typical tourists. Divide each day into thirds. Head out early, I mean 6AM early and get to your first destination. In the early afternoon, head back to your deserted campground for a siesta and nap. Eat an early dinner and then head back out for the evening while the typical tourists are huddled around their campfires. You'll have a much better shot at some of the more elusive wildlife and avoid some of the slower fishing during the heat and bright sun of midday. Alternatively, leave early, hike into somewhere remote (for the typical tourist that means more than an eighth of a mile from the parking lot) and stay out until evening.

Steve

9. Jason Shutt

Jason Shutt Dues past due

Media:
    The winter 2010 edition of Trout Magazine (Trout Unlimited) has an article called "Fishing in the Name of Science" about how volunteer anglers can help Yellowstone NP staff conduct field studies through C&R. In brief, "the program is designed to use C&R angling as a capture technique for gathering biological information on fish populations throughout the park". They will pay for entrance fees, give advice on where to fish (backcountry) and suggest flies. If time permits, they'll even act as guides. All they ask is that you report your findings. I'm hoping to do this in the next few years.

The only way to find the article online is to be a member, but if you PM me your home address I'll send you a photocopy.

10. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    You have to swim, wade the hot springs at the Northern Entrance....You have to fish the Madison outside the park Boundaries (3 dollar Bridge ect.) We have always had fun spending a night or two up in Beartrap Canyon on the Madison but about 70+ miles from West Yellowstone... We have had luck at the KOA or Mac's Inn....definately not your high end, but if you are tent camping...it will do...the water flows may be scary low and very warm......being August in Montana....
    E

11. J Wood

J Wood Member

Damn. That's good info Jason, just a little late for me. I just returned from a trip fishing the Black Canyon. Could have saved some $$ on permits but oh well, the trip was great anyway. I know they are trying to up the cutthroat numbers and from my experience, I was suprised that I caught mostly cutts and cutbows and not too many rainbows on the black canyon stretch.

Rob, it will be pretty low by then but it's only a 2 mile hike to hellroaring creek from the main road. It was good fishing last week but by August, it may be fishing not so hot. There are lots of campsites on it though and it's beautiful country! Have fun-

12. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    I don't know how old your son is Rob, but if you want to catch lots of fish in a beautiful setting, its hard to beat the Indian Creek Campground, between Mammoth and Norris. A short hike in a beautiful meadow puts you on the upper Gardiner River, which is loaded with small brownies and brookies.

Just got back from a week in Yellowstone, and the construction along the Gibbon between Norris and Madison Junction is a pain. The road is closed from 10:00pm to 8:00am, which can put a damper on early starts and fishing late, depending on where you're staying. It really chokes off the main route from the west side to the east side. During the day its 30 minute delays with a pilot car.

As far as fly shops go: I'm biased, but a visit to Blue Ribbon Flies is mandatory.

Spend some time on the north side of Dunraven Pass, where you have a view of the north flanks of Mt Washburn and the Antelope Creek valley. We saw seven (that's SEVEN) different grizzlies there last Monday. There is a sow with two cubs hanging out around the road in the area.

Have a great time. I wish I was heading back...

13. johnson

johnson New Member

Slough and Cache creek were fun out of the way creeks. Also got a nice view of a hot naked chick sun bathing out by Cache creek. The Gallatin fished extremely well on my drive down to the park. I remember the Gardiner fishing well too. Good luck!

14. fodf

fodf Team Umiak

Not to throw some negative juju into the fray but a bear attack occurred outside the NE entrance in a campground early this morning..Soda Butte. 1 killed and 2 injured. Check the online news services..investigation ongoing. Besides that..have a blast and luck with you on the experience with your son and a report is expected..as usual.

15. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Media:
    Better Check to make sure the water you want to fish is open as well, they can shut down the fishing on rivers when the water temps get too high.

16. robeau

robeau New Member

Hey guys thanks for all the great info so far, definitely has given us some direction, even including the unsettling news of the poor campers outside the park. Bears and nude sunbathers, what a mix